Can Dogs Get A Stomach Bug?

OK don't laugh at me. My grey had accidents in the house and wouldn't eat a couple weekends ago. I talked to a few friends, and their dogs had Big D issues and eating issues around the same time. Nobody could find any reason why.

So- do dogs get stomach viruses? And can they be transmitted by humans to them?

Absolutely. At one time I lived across the hall from my BFF. I had a Grey and she had a Samoyed and they were constantly together. One of them picked up a bug and they passed it back and forth. They both had the big D. We went to the vet and he gave them both metronidazole and an antibiotic (more precautionary). Meds and chicken and rice for a few days and they were better than new. We thought about separating them, but they were both sick and her Sammie was having NONE of being separated from her buddy. :)

I've had it happen here, as well.

Oddly enough, Cookie was having some issues a couple weeks ago and then my mother got sick, as well, the next week. I know the bug probably can't be passed from dog to human but it was ironic timing.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

I wholeheartedly agree they get stomach bugs. When my boys are not feeling their finest, I turn to giving them CS orally after fasting and it gets them right ASAP. Whenever they get right because of this, I attribute it to a stomach bug. I don't think it can be transmitted, but I do know that it's common for them to feel a little weird after the spring thaw up here. They get curious and get get into various things outside...lick or eat something they shouldn't have after it's been frozen and festering all winter.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

opps, almost forgot about the winter i boarded my 2. they stay in the house w/ my friend's other greyhounds, great danes and other greyhound boarders. (she happens to be excellent). somehow one picked up a bug- all 16 indoor dogs were sick! my friend just watched each dog turn green and took out the bleach and administered flagyl and lived thru the nightmare. that was not a good time for anyone/dog. imagine great danes w/ a stomach bug no less 10 greyhounds! imagine the cleaning...