5-Yr Old Male Greyhound Is Growling And Snapping When Alone In His Bed

Guest gen_guindon

Guest gen_guindon

Hello,

My 5-yr old male greyhound has been with us for 2 1/2 years.
Lately, he has started growling and snapping when he is alone in his bed. He snaps mostly at himself. This is new behaviour, and he doesn't do it all the time, either, which is odd. He is also growling for no apparent reason, no one is near him. (No, he is not sleeping -- We are aware of greyhounds sleeping with their eyes open and this is not the case.)

His behaviour is causing our other greyhound (a 10-yr old female) to be afraid and reluctant to be in the same room with him.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before or have any clue what may be bothering him?
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

GG
Ontario, Canada

Hm...That's strange. If no one is near him or bothering him and he's directing this at himself, my first thought would be perhaps he's in pain somewhere or something is bothering him (perhaps a tummy issue)? Does he seem to focus in on any particular place on his body when he does this? I hope others have more helpful answers for you!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Without seeing the behavior I think it might be pain, too. I have seen our sort of look at/poke themselves in the tummy when they have gas, or bite a leg that has a cramp. Does he respond to your voice if you speak to him? Does the growling last very long?

See if you can get a phone video of it and take it in to your vet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Either he is in pain or is not feeling well. Since it's out of character, a vet visit is definitely in order. Hope it's something minor.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Our oldest hound does this sometimes and he is just playing! He bites himself and wags his tail like crazy and it thumps on the floor. He also growls at himself. This is usually how it all starts. He is a hoot! Does your hound appear to be playing when he does it?

Can you get video of the behavior and post it here?

ETA: Easiest thing is probably to upload it to Youtube (make sure it's a public video) and share the link here.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Vet.

My George used to do that sometimes--we decided it was probably the nerve pain from his LSS. As someone who has nerve pain myself, I can tell you it is sudden, sharp, and very painful, like a jolt of electricity going through you. I'd snap at it if I could!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest gen_guindon

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all your helpful comments and for sharing your experiences!
We took him to the vet today and it turns out he has an infection in his left ear.
As per the vet's instructions, we're now giving him antibiotic drops and flushing out his ear.

Here's hoping he feels better soon!

GG

Sorry about the infection, but that's good news! Keep us posted, ok?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.