Article About The Consolidation Of Pet Food Makers

I don't know if anyone will find it interesting, but the Washington Post published an article about how only three companies now control the bulk of the pet food market.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

I didn't know this. It's a concern in that I believe in competition because it benefits the consumer and the economy, but also it makes me wonder if changes in the content will be occurring in the brands I use.

Edited by Feisty49

Not really earth shattering. In "grocery store" brands Iams, Purina and Alpo pretty much rule the shelves. Notice they said mid range.

Remember the huge Diamond recall a few years ago? While they didn't own most of the companies they made (make) food for many companies - all the way from feed store stuff to Solid Gold, Wellness and Taste of the Wild - all which use a lot of the same ingredients.

It used to crack me up when Merrick sold canned food at Wal-Mart for .55 a can. Except for one or two ingredients (I remember peas were in one but not the other) had exactly the same ingredients as their $2.00+ a can Cowboy Cookout at boutique pet stores. Same plant. I find it hard to believe that they used different beef and vegetables in each.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lillypad

Not surprised by this article at all. I knew there were big conglomerates behind commercial pet foods, Amusing how the same folks that make "Mr. Clean" make dog/cat food. I am sure there are still a few small corporations producing a better quality kibble. But it really just comes down to who has the better marketing. I found what Hubcitypam said not surprising at all. I often wonder when I read and listen to the proclamations made by producers like Acanna, Orijin (Champion Foods) about their "grass feed beef", "free range chicken": and "fresh caught fish" how can this be. How can these products, which are costly for humans to source to eat, be made into kibbles for animals to eat? I find it hard to believe that they take such quality products and turn it into kibble. I wish I could afford to source and eat grass fed beef and free range chicken myself.. LOL Now I don't know if all dog food is made like this, but thought this was an interesting video. Especially the part where they "spray the food with fat for energy and flavor for taste" :chowhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXSmzCShqdI