Coconut Oil Question

Rustyroo

Is Coconut Oil safe for the dogs? I'd like to add it to their food if it is.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Yes, see here and here for some of the benefits. Start slowly (maybe a teaspoon) and work your way up to prevent loose stools. Sweep loves it and gets a tablespoon or so daily. Be sure to get the virgin, unrefined organic kind (you can find it at Costco).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Thanks. I have to check the jar to make sure it's unrefined.

I stopped using coconut oil recently. Many people consider it safe, but I disagree. Although it is about 50% MCT's which lower LDL's, it also lowers HDL's which increase your risk to heart disease. so there's more research necessary imo, but it does make a great moisturizer.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Johberry

I use it for cooking.

I also give some to Enzo either in his breakfast or dinner every day. He LOVES it even by itself. It has great anti-bacterial properties when gargled like edible mouthwash, so I will sometimes give it to him straight, melted with low heat.

Yes, see here and here for some of the benefits. Start slowly (maybe a teaspoon) and work your way up to prevent loose stools. Sweep loves it and gets a tablespoon or so daily. Be sure to get the virgin, unrefined organic kind (you can find it at Costco).

It's not the unrefined kind. Is it still ok to give?

It's not the unrefined kind. Is it still ok to give?

I would just google the brand to make sure they don't use bleaches or solvents during the refinement process. From what I understand (definitely NOT an expert), refined CO is typically made from lower quality coconuts and used more often for cooking since it's mostly odorless/flavorless and won't make whatever you're cooking taste like coconut. So, yes, it's safe for consumption but unrefined would be better, especially as (at least in Sweep's case) the yummy smell/flavor is why she eats it so readily. Sometimes I rub a tiny bit of the unrefined on my palms and rub her down, which makes her smell nice too!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I stopped using coconut oil recently. Many people consider it safe, but I disagree. Although it is about 50% MCT's which lower LDL's, it also lowers HDL's which increase your risk to heart disease. so there's more research necessary imo, but it does make a great moisturizer.

I bought some, but have held off on using it until I know more. I share your concerns.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I buy mine from Trader Joes, organic coconut oil. Start off slow, 1/4 teaspoon for 10 days, then a 1/2 teaspoon for 10 days, then a teaspoon. I just mix it in the Olewo carrots and beets I give my two hounds. If I wanted to just give the coconut oil I would put it in a spoon and they lick it off. They love it.

I bought some, but have held off on using it until I know more. I share your concerns.

While I understand what you're saying, I don't think that a tablespoon/day is really going to have such an effect that lowered HDL is a worry.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• 1 month later...
Guest HeatherLee

I agree. I also think coconut oil is VERY overhyped and needs more research. Do you feed any oils gretypups?

Guest AngelPup

Cindy Lou has VERY dry, flakey skin--especially during the winter months and when she's shedding. I've given her a capsule of fish oil every day, which helped, but not much. I then added approx a teaspoon (or less) of coconut oil to her dinner every night--HUGE difference. Her coat is MUCH softer and noticeably shinier. It also had a positive effect on her recurring staph infection (now completely gone).

My daughter (who was taking a nutrition course at a culinary university at the time) expressed concern that there are negative heart health consequences in using coconut oil, so I asked a grey-savvy vet and she said that it was fine in moderation. She suggested no more than a teaspoon or so every other day as too much oil (of any kind) isn't good. I now give her a teaspoon full in her dinner on Mon, Wed and Fri. Haven't noticed any negative changes in her soft, silky fur or shine. She still gets the fish oil capsule with breakfast every day.

Many swear by it.....to be honest, it hasn't done a thing for my boys, and Kasey actually turns his nose up to it....won't lick it off my finger and eats around it when it's in his food.

Good luck!

I use this (found at Costco) - 669653b.jpg

Of course I had to buy the biggest bottle known to mankind. Slowly working to the bottom - very slow. I won't buy it again.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kisstherain

Costco sells organic coconut oil in two jar packs. I noticed my grey's fur got considerably shinier and softer after I started giving her some each day!

Guest AimeeBee

I'm a convert to coconut oil -- a teaspoon with dinner every other day has made a huge difference in keeping George's coat flake-free.

Guest brit1

I do give fish oil but frankly I find that high quality cold pressed olive oil does the most good so I give a tsp in the morning and nordic natural fish oil cap in the evening :) Btw coconut oil is absolutely perfect for removing makeup including eye makeup :) brit