Re: Gagging-Much Worse Diagnosis

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just reading and seeing all of this now! OMG what a horrible ordeal for you both! Glad his surgery went well and he's home! Thank you for giving him the love he so did not get early on in his life. Sending healing hugs!!!!! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I just wanted to check in as so many of you have been so wonderful, caring and wondering how Charlie is. I am pretty amazed with this laparoscopic surgery. It is almost as if he didn't have surgery the way he is acting. He wants to run down the stairs and i am taking him gently by his collar. He has been a hungry boy! Sleeping on the couch now. All is good. Dr McCarthy is obviously a fantastic doctor, i must send him a thank you note. Wish i could do that for all of you.

Tracy-i don't know where to begin-if not for you he would have had his chest cut open for this and as you said still be in ICU for a week. He had the surgery just yesterday, you'd never know it! Will call in 5-7 days for results of biopsy but i finally feel at ease. I love this boy, he is such a good boy. I will get pics soon. I have to figure out how to post a pic here in "my media"

Sleep well all! We will finally!

:wub: Great news.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So, so glad things are going well! Charlie you are amazing.

I have been known to get off the couch for a greyhound or 2 and ended up on the dog bed!

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

How's the Charlie man today????

The Charlie man is doing GREYT!!!! I'll take it! Thanks for asking

still trying to figure out how to post pics using "my media" I'll get it eventually

Also the incisions are not red at all. He is healing well and quickly. He does not seems to be in discomfort at all. I am still amazed how well this surgery went. This wasn't something simple although you would think it was.

Edited by CharlieRhea

I will say i am slightly, very slightly, concerned over his weight loss. 6 lbs but he has been eating like a champ. Dr McCarthy thought his weight was perfect. The vet exam when this all started with the gagging thought his weight was perfect then. I had been cutting back slightly as my husband in the beginning fed too much and Charlie was up to 97 lbs! Down to 91 and after all this he is at 86 lbs. I had to convince my husband in the beginning that Greyhounds should have a couple of ribs showing, he gets it now. But i suppose it was because we were always trying to have Rhea put on weight, my 13 yr old German Shepherd who has exocrine pancreatic insuffiency, who is doing great, just thin and she is elderly.

I am thinking it has been all the stress Charlie has been through and trying to remain positive about the results of the biopsy next week. Charlie again, is looking great, eating well.

Edited by CharlieRhea

Great news and so glad he has recovered his appetite.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

glad he's doing so well!!!

our first 2 BOTH had bloat (rare, I know!) - - Nube's was done at our regular vet (who we LOVE) but he was cut almost end to end, stapled and bruised terribly. 2 years later, Rainey ALSO bloated and had 1am surgery at the Evet -- she had a TINY incision, was stitched perfectly and hardly any bruising at all. Two completely different outcomes for the same exact surgery. Just depends on who's doing it.!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

glad he's doing so well!!!

our first 2 BOTH had bloat (rare, I know!) - - Nube's was done at our regular vet (who we LOVE) but he was cut almost end to end, stapled and bruised terribly. 2 years later, Rainey ALSO bloated and had 1am surgery at the Evet -- she had a TINY incision, was stitched perfectly and hardly any bruising at all. Two completely different outcomes for the same exact surgery. Just depends on who's doing it.!

Huge difference from one surgery and the other, sorry your 1st grey had to go through that. I am still so thankful to TBhounds (Tracy) without her i would not have known about the non invasive option. Luckily i found someone @ Tufts Grafton MA not too far from me who does it. Also lucky i was able to get an appt in a week after Charlies last emergency. It has been so easy for Charlie which he deserves. He has been through enough already. I Expect TBhounds gets her rewards from helping the dogs but Tracy- i wish i could thank you more! Maybe if i win the lottery, oh right, i'd have to start playing it. :-)

Bet his tail stub has been wagging madly since he's been home, except when he's in deep, restful, healing sleep. Hugs to your boy.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I will say i am slightly, very slightly, concerned over his weight loss. 6 lbs but he has been eating like a champ. Dr McCarthy thought his weight was perfect. The vet exam when this all started with the gagging thought his weight was perfect then. I had been cutting back slightly as my husband in the beginning fed too much and Charlie was up to 97 lbs! Down to 91 and after all this he is at 86 lbs. I had to convince my husband in the beginning that Greyhounds should have a couple of ribs showing, he gets it now. But i suppose it was because we were always trying to have Rhea put on weight, my 13 yr old German Shepherd who has exocrine pancreatic insuffiency, who is doing great, just thin and she is elderly.I am thinking it has been all the stress Charlie has been through and trying to remain positive about the results of the biopsy next week. Charlie again, is looking great, eating well.

My angel Mulder lost a third of his body weight in just two weeks when he was incorrectly diagnosed as having kennel cough when he actually had CHF......this is partly why I am so pleased to hear how well Charlie is doing, sadly Mulder was not so lucky.

I would not worry about him losing five pounds, he has been under a lot of stress. Hopefully he will be back to "fighting" weight very soon. All the best.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT