Re: Gagging-Much Worse Diagnosis

I just wanted to let you know that I knew a cat that had idiopathic pericardial effusion who wasn't expected to live very long (months at most) but with proper treatment he lived another three years with great quality of life! They periodically had to drain the fluid from him, at first it was more than monthly and then it got more frequent (every 3 weeks then every other week toward the end), but between those vet visits he seemed to be feeling fine and only slowed down when it was time to drain again.

I hope your boy has the same good luck that Red did!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked Charlie up last night. He slept all night but he had an exhausting day. He had the echocardiogram which showed a "brightening" near the aorta but they do not think it is a mass. Bottom line-the cardiologist has seen dogs with this refill with fluid within a day, some with in weeks, one in a year and one never again. So we won't know which scenario for Charlie. He goes back in 3-4 weeks for another echo.

I took this as a compliment, the vet said you know what signs to look out for, i trust you. Also it is not a "quote" heart condition so no meds and no restrictions. She said IF it reoccurs frequently he would need an operation. They would cut a window in the pericardio sac surrounding the heart and the fluid would drain into his chest cavity where it can handle it better and reabsorb eventually. She said start saving as it will be about $4000.00-$5000.00. I don't care about the cost but since this has set me back to broke i will need to save now!!!! His fluid did not refill in the days he was there so that is good news. Time will tell. Cancer was mentioned but not sure, just a scenario but they don't think so at this point. Also mesothelioma was mentioned. I suppose they throw out there everything they are considering but at this point it remains idiopathic.

So glad he's home-you must be so relieved to have him back with you. Wonderful news about the echo! I'm familiar of the surgery that he may need in the future (fingers crossed he won't!)--there are some clinics that are actually completely removing the pericardial sac laparoscopically--amazing.

tbhounds i am thrilled to have him home-still nerved up wondering in advance will this happen tomorrow, next week or never.

laparoscopically obviously would be less invasive.

Tufts is wonderful but it is a teaching hospital so i don't know if they have that but will ask, thanks. I hope he doesnt need it obviously but will start saving now! Someone suggested the GoFundme site, Anyone know about that? Still it seems like begging to me and i think i'd rather borrow.

TBhounds did i read a long time ago that you are a Vet Tech?

Guest sireltonsmom

Fingers crossed he won't refill and this will be simply an event! I also think they heal better at home with their peeps and familiar bed, food dish, etc. You all and Charlie will stay close in our hearts.

PS i see in a post i called someone greyaholic as if it was their name lol Many of us are Greyaholic! Now i forget who it was in response to, whomever mentioned bring a roasted chicken i think :-) I could go for one now, haven't been eating that much.

Thank you Xtrawld and everyone

Cool stuff, tbhounds!

Friend had to have her own pericardium removed many years ago. The traditional way, ai yi yi. But, she made a fine recovery from it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you TBHounds! I couldn't find anywhere in MA, possibly Cape Cod for spay/neuter. I will have to check this out further. That would be so much easier on a dog or any animal. You would think Tufts would have this equipment, will have to check out Angell Memorial in Boston.

I just researched it. Ther is a Vet at Tufts who does this minimally invasive surgery on small animals. The equipment has to be there then i assume. Does one size fit all? If this can be done if needed i will forever grateful to you

I'm so sorry for you and Charlie. I will keep you both in my prayers. You and charlie are very lucky to have such a wonderful facility to care for him. I'm sure he will get the best care.

Thank you everyone-so far so good :-) I have a theory that the Vet dismissed but here it is. I have researched and was given a handout about the pericardial effusion, it did mention trauma as one cause. About a month ago i was walking Charlie and he saw a cat. He jumped i swear 5 feet in the air! He reached the end of the leash and this is a freak thing but fell from the air smack onto his side and not his feet. I think the height and reaching end of leash caught him off balance. Anyhow, i am hoping this was the cause and this won't happen again to him and it will heal on its own. I will still bring him for his echocardiogram in 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed!

This dog is special.

Thank you everyone-so far so good :-) I have a theory that the Vet dismissed but here it is. I have researched and was given a handout about the pericardial effusion, it did mention trauma as one cause. About a month ago i was walking Charlie and he saw a cat. He jumped i swear 5 feet in the air! He reached the end of the leash and this is a freak thing but fell from the air smack onto his side and not his feet. I think the height and reaching end of leash caught him off balance. Anyhow, i am hoping this was the cause and this won't happen again to him and it will heal on its own. I will still bring him for his echocardiogram in 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed!

This dog is special.

Mention this to the Dr while at your next recheck.