Aging Question

Guest ctgreylover

Guest ctgreylover

Tony is 13. He could not get himself off my sofa and woke me at 3am for assistance tonight. All i did was hold my hand on his neck. Should I block him from the living room or let him keep sleeping there(his favorite sleeping spot) and risk slipping?

I have a 13 year old too, and would advise blocking off the living room - you will both sleep better.

I went through a similar thing with Doc a couple of years back, when the vet told me he shouldn't do stairs any more because of his dodgy back. I was worried about whether he would settle on his own downstairs, but she said to me 'You know what? You are worrying about this much more than he will. Just make sure he has a super-comfortable bed downstairs, give him a nice treat, say goodnight, and go up. You might have to block the stairs for a night or so, but I promise you, within a week he will have forgotten all about trying to come upstairs.' She was quite right :nod

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

You can try putting something next to the sofa for him to use as a step (I used a crib mattress) It worked well for my old boy who loved the sofa. OTOH I had just about decided to block the sofa for Charley last year when she slipped trying to get up and broke her leg :sad1 She had osteo, a slip won't cause a break for a healthy dog, but he could still hurt himself. If it were me, I would block him at night and when I wasn't home.