Stop Accessive Licking?

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Fusion has 3 socks on right now. 1 on the front, and 2 on the back.

This is because if he gets even the tiniest scrape, and he can find it to lick it-he will, until it is 1000X worse than it was to begin with.

Now, he gets enough exercise and stimulation-so I know its not boredom. And though the socks, pants, or whatever item we need to make him wear to keep away from the sore are working, they are very tedious.

So is there any way to at least cut back his licking, or is this just the way he is?

Other than that, we have had him for 5 months now and besides sleep startle, and being a jerk sometimes and peeing on my plant in the living room (only when we leave him in there alone when feeding the other animals/cooking) he's been perfect.

He is a cute, quirky, happy, big baby. We love him so<3

4XimPmg.jpg?1

Edited by Lygracilux

I spray some colloidal silver on small scrapes - it heals scrapes quick, which makes it less irritating, which results in no licking. :)

What a cutie you got there btw!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Lygracilux

I spray some colloidal silver on small scrapes - it heals scrapes quick, which makes it less irritating, which results in no licking. :)

I've never heard of it, but I'll try it out!

He is, isn't he? Thank you!

Just went through this with Truman. He had a little sliver of a cut on his leg. It would've healed on its own in two days... it took THREE WEEKS. He was constantly licking and tearing off the scabs. I tried a bunch of things to deter him, like wrapping it and spraying Bitter Apple. The solution that finally worked was using a basket muzzle with a stool guard. It didn't change the compulsion (he would continue to try to lick the cut, except this way, he couldn't make contact and just licked the inside of the muzzle). I did this consistently for about four days, slathering it with Neosporin a few times a day.

It's healed finally, but it's scarred up a lot worse than it would've been if he'd just left it alone.

140gpp1.jpg

Guest Lygracilux

Just went through this with Truman. He had a little sliver of a cut on his leg. It would've healed on its own in two days... it took THREE WEEKS. He was constantly licking and tearing off the scabs. I tried a bunch of things to deter him, like wrapping it and spraying Bitter Apple. The solution that finally worked was using a basket muzzle with a stool guard. It didn't change the compulsion (he would continue to try to lick the cut, except this way, he couldn't make contact and just licked the inside of the muzzle). I did this consistently for about four days, slathering it with Neosporin a few times a day.

It's healed finally, but it's scarred up a lot worse than it would've been if he'd just left it alone.

140gpp1.jpg

I 100% understand the frustration that comes with it.

These darn doggies!

I was going to do the basket muzzle with stool guard, but heard they cant drink water with it on?

He's home alone a lot of the day, so that wouldn't work.

I will second the recommendation of colloidal silver spray. I have tried it myself and found that it provided instant relief when I sprayed it on my hands that were very sore from numerous cuts and splinters I received after a day of pulling thorny vines out the trees along the back corner of my yard

Colloidal silver was the only thing that provided Beanie any relief and got her to temporarily stop licking her legs where she had been given her chemotherapy injection. She had licked her leg raw then beat it to a bloody mess trying to get to it after I put a muzzle with a poop guard on to prevent her licking it when I went to work. :(

Guest Lygracilux

I will second the recommendation of colloidal silver spray. I have tried it myself and found that it provided instant relief when I sprayed it on my hands that were very sore from numerous cuts and splinters I received after a day of pulling thorny vines out the trees along the back corner of my yard

Colloidal silver was the only thing that provided Beanie any relief and got her to temporarily stop licking her legs where she had been given her chemotherapy injection. She had licked her leg raw then beat it to a bloody mess trying to get to it after I put a muzzle with a poop guard on to prevent her licking it when I went to work. :(

I will have to try this then. Fusion is getting irritated with the socks and is trying to eat them now.... -_-

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lygracilux

Just need to rant.

We have been muzzling him with a muzzle with a duct tape stool guard until the actual one comes in.

He can still get little licks in, but mostly just slobbers on the inside of the muzzle. He cant chew off his socks anymore so that's a plus.

He got a tiny scrape on his inner thigh from running in the icy snow and has now started on that. I left him alone for 5 mins without the muzzle on this morning and came back to a bloody mess.

I cleaned it, and slapped on a big ol' band aid (he didnt like that very much)

Why does he do this? It's stressing him and I both out now.

It's also gotten worse out of boredom. With the snow and ice on our streets I cant walk him. He just gets a quick zoom here and there in the small shoveled out area in the back yard, but its not enough. Now with the muzzle on all day he cant even play with his toys.

I feel bad :(

I'm right there with you. :riphair

The other day, I took Truman's muzzle off for literally ten minutes, while he ate. He was like a moth to the flame. He went downstairs and out of sight (he made like he was going out the dog door), but he must've just stood there and licked for awhile. The little cut he had that was almost healed, but he completely opened it up. Now we're back to square one. Sometimes at night, I hear him licking for long periods of time- he can't get to the cut, so he licks the inside of the stool guard. The vet gave us a small amount of Valium to help him calm down. I know that sounds extreme, but there's really nothing else I can do to distract him. It's really sad.

Guest Lygracilux

I'm right there with you. :riphair

The other day, I took Truman's muzzle off for literally ten minutes, while he ate. He was like a moth to the flame. He went downstairs and out of sight (he made like he was going out the dog door), but he must've just stood there and licked for awhile. The little cut he had that was almost healed, but he completely opened it up. Now we're back to square one. Sometimes at night, I hear him licking for long periods of time- he can't get to the cut, so he licks the inside of the stool guard. The vet gave us a small amount of Valium to help him calm down. I know that sounds extreme, but there's really nothing else I can do to distract him. It's really sad.

Omg I'm so glad I am not alone, and neither are you.

Fusion did the same thing! I took it off for him to eat, I went to the bathroom and washed up, when I came out he was up on the couch licking it raw. It was a minuscule scrape, almost healed. Now its a giant raw gash. As soon as I looked at him, he stopped.He knows he's not supposed to do it and gives me this face...hard to explain. Sometimes he just goes and tries to get out of my sight to try and lick too!

The same for us too at night right before bed, and then at like 6 am I hear him slobbering (I dont have to get out of bed until 7:30, so I've been up early the past month)

It doesn't sound extreme at all, and I feel will have to ask the vet if there is just some kind of relaxant I can give him. If not, hes going to keep self inflicting like your boy.

If your going to your vet ask for a tube of atropine eye ointment--hands down the worst tasting thing on the planet. Apply a tiny amount around the wound to prevent licking. This is an off label use of the product but, it works amazingly well. Just remember to wash your hands or wear gloves (if you run your eyes and get ointment in your eyes you will dilate your pupils!) ;-)