Teo And A Sad Revelation (Updated - He's My Fuzzy Angel Now)

Teo couldn't make it until Friday, the day set for his journey. My dogsitter came by Wednesday and it was clear to her that he was ready. He wouldn't eat, had fallen and cut his lip, and couldn't stand and walk. I came home and he could not get up to greet me. There was no question any more. I called and texted Fiona (our vet) and she came over in the evening. I curled up next to him, held him, and told him every way possible that he's my hero, my angel, and has always been -- and will always be -- adored and worshiped. Everything I wanted him to know about how wonderful he was, and how much he was loved, was said.He just slept, and barely noticed Fiona was doing anything. It was blessedly peaceful -- he deserved no less.

I will post more in tributes, and thank all of you for your loving understanding.

(I lurk for months on end and reappear with unhappy news. I just need to talk it out with friends who will know...)

My sad revelation is this: we come to the realization that our pup is declining. We watch their eyes closely, know this will be our gauge for knowing when we have to make a painful decision. We hope they will trust us enough to know we will be listening, though of course we hold out hope that his eyes will continue to laugh, and in so doing, allow us to put the decision in a drawer for a long while.

But suddenly, without warning, there it is. A complete blindside. Things were going along pretty well, but we seem to forget that "pretty well" for us is not always "pretty well" for our pup. And the instant that you meet his eyes, you know. And, yeah, you're so grateful that he turned to you knowing that you would hear him, and you do. And you know it's time to take the decision out of the drawer and do the right thing for him. So you separate yourself into the rational side -- who recognizes the decision and makes arrangement -- and the heart, who is reeling and overwhelmed by the message you have been privileged to receive.

It's humbling. But I've been reminded in a way I have never been before, of the lightning bolt of sadness that strike when eyes meet and you know.

Teo (the fuzzy galgo) has had a tough year. Last year he developed a chronic cough and stridor, which we suspected might be LP. He was scoped by my IM vet who found that he didn't have LP but did have a swallow disorder and abnormal pooling of secretions, which caused his cough and foamy drooling. It was controlled fairly well with softened food and famotidine but his symptoms worsened late summer. He'd already had a couple of episodes of aspiration pneumonia but this was not going away. His CXR showed an enlarged heart (not present a year ago) which my vet thought might be cardiomyopathy, and his murmur had progressed, so he was seen by cardiology. His echo showed severe valvlar disease, the worst of it being severe mitral regurg and pulmonary hypertension. He was felt to be in mild congestive heart failure at the time. The cardiologist started him on Vetmedin, enalapril, lasix and spiranolactone, and he did improve quite a bit. (Forgot to mention he'd also had 2 probable strokes, with vestibular-like symptoms and ataxia.)

Over the past week or so, he's gone from happily inhaling his food to barely being able to swallow small pieces of chicken. He's drooling on his R side and actually is now regurgitating water after drinking. This is starting to sound more like megaesophagus, but with his valvular disease, there aren't many treatment options.

Teo is definitely not Teo, and I see in his eyes that he is very unhappy.... I hate when that realization hits, but I can only honor him by setting him free of the problems that have taken away his goofiness and spirit and love of life. I knew that the heart disease would limit his time, but I don't even think that's what's making him so miserable -- I think it's more that he can't eat normally, he's ataxic, he doesn't feel well enough to leap into the air and scratch at the walls when I come home.

I didn't think Teo would be next... and I think this is going to devastate both Mafi and Gigi. And me.

PHOTOSROOERS710.jpgteopeep.jpg

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I'm so sorry, your writing is so descriptive and moving. Teo is a very lucky boy to have you as his human, so attentive and sensitive to his needs. I know that look, it chills to the bone. My heart goes out to you.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest normaandburrell

I am so very sorry for you and Teo. Letting him go will be painful for you but will bring him peace. Bless you for being willing to do this for him.

Thinking of you and Teo today and sending hugs to you and your furry family. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Jordan, you are the best dog mom and Teo will always thank you for listening and hearing him. It's the hardest thing to have to do what they ask us to do. I realized that today is two years since Gracie stopped twirling on earth. She and Teo can dance and rock the heavens together. My heart goes out to you, my friend. :grouphug Please give Mafi and Gigi special hugs from all of us. I'm so sorry.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh Jordan, I'm so very sorry to see this. :grouphug I can feel your love for him and your utter heartbreak that this time has come. Thinking of you and yours.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What you write is so true and I am very sorry to read of Teo. He is such a beautiful boy and you have done everything for him. I am very sorry it his time to leave.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Wasserbuffel

I'm sorry you're having to say goodbye, it's always sad when they leave. I'm happy for Teo that you're giving him the most loving gift of an easy end.

I'm so sorry.

Run fast and free over the Bridge, sweet boy. You will be missed........................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

oh Jordan, I am so sad to read this and know this look you speak of in their eyes. Sending you big hugs and praying for a peaceful journey for Teo.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Dear Jordan, It is never easy to make these decisions, but, you are his best friend and he looks to you to keep him comfortable and pain free. When we can no longer do that, we must be kind and let them go. My heart is breaking with yours.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Bless you for seeing "that look" and understanding what you must do even though it will break your heart.

I'm so sorry.

Happy Trails, Teo, and may that first meal over the bridge be all of you favorites.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Teo, it will take a long time for your mom's heart to mend so please send a sign that you are happy and whole across the Bridge. And if you need to get into any mischief, go find Nina.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.