The Medical Mystery Of The Century

Guest KTPrime

Guest KTPrime

...that's what my vet calls my dog. So a couple months ago, he started having trouble walking in that he seemed off-balance, would trip over things, and was running into things a lot. He also would develop random bad bruising, mostly in his chest area but in a few other places. We've done so many tests, blood work, liver sonogram. She said he is jaundiced and his liver isn't working properly (his serum was dark yellow), but on the ultrasound, his liver appears fine. There was some thickening in his stomach and illium that she said sometimes indicates cancer, but his symptoms don't really fit cancer. We're currently treating him for hepatic encephalopy with lactulose and a special kidney diet that's not as high in protein.

He does better on the lactulose, but needs 3 doses a day to stay stable. Both times when we tried to take him down to two, the stumbling and bruises reappeared. The vet says the hepatic encephalopathy is not a disease itself, but a symptom, she just can't figure out what, and she's says we're basically at the end of what she can do diagnostically. We could do a biopsy of the stomach/illium tissue, or see a neurologist, but she's not sure what to recommend since those avenues don't fit his symptoms. Last time I saw a neurologist, it was basically $300 to hear that they couldn't tell anything without an MRI. Plus it seems like given he does so much better on the lactulose, that points way from the brain.

It's so frustrating to not have an answer. He's stable on the lactulose, but he's not like his old self. There's been small personality changes, like he's less obedient (doesn't come when he's called, even for pets or to come on the couch) and he just doesn't get as happy as he used to (like for car rides or when I come home). I just don't know what to do next. If anyone has dealt with anything similar or has any ideas, I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Guest PiagetsMom

I just want to send you a :grouphug My bridge girl, Maya, was also a medical mystery and regardless of the endless testing and consulting we never could figure out what was wrong with her. I know how stressful and aggravating and frustrating it was for me, and I will always feel badly for Maya that we could not solve her health puzzle. I send good thoughts your way for you and your pup - again, :grouphug

How old is he (name?)?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Have you seen an internal medicine vet?? Sometimes just a different set of eyes makes all the diifference. My other thought was to recommend biopsys--I'm sure you're vet is well aware but, you do need to run a coagulation panel first. You already ran a blle acids test?