Titers... Discuss!

Here's the link to the titer discussion I mentioned earlier. It's interesting, but generally restates stuff that has already been mentioned. Although the blogger does say that generally, a high titer can be taken as evidence of immunity for most of the things that we vaccinate our dogs against. The issue appears to really come down to what to do about dogs with low titers, who may or may not be immunized.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2014/12/antibody-titer-testing-as-a-guide-for-vaccination-in-dogs-and-cats/comment-page-1/#comment-106378

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

If you want to learn about immunity, go to youtube and search Dr Karen Becker and/or Dr. Ronald Schultz. There is a multi-part interview with Dr. Schultz who knows more about immunity than any living person on the planet.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

In the state of Georgia, titers are not accepted in lieu of rabies vaccinations. (Most counties say to follow the state's recommendations. The state says to follow the recommendations here.) That document includes a list (in Part III) of how long the rabies vaccines by various manufacturers are expected to be effective; many require one booster at one year after the original vaccination, then triennially after that.

We're in an area with a high risk of leptospirosis, so my dogs have that vaccination every year. My dogs are therapy dogs, so they get DHLPP every year, and the bordatella vaccination every six months because they're around a lot of other dogs at weekly meet and greets and other events. Also, I don't have a yard, so my dogs are going for walks in "public" areas; I don't trust my fellow dog owners to keep their dogs up to date on vaccines, so I make sure my guys are protected.

My girl will be 10 in a few months, and I don't know how long she'll remain a therapy dog (it depends on her arthritis), but unless she has a real health issue, she's going to need the lepto vaccine every year, no matter what I do about the DHPP portion. Her next 3-year rabies shot is due this year, and she probably will not get another one because she'll certainly retire from therapy work before she turns 13. The boy will be 8 in a few months, and he'll continue to get DHLPP annually (and at least one more rabies shot, due when he's 10).

When I schedule vaccinations, I avoid scheduling the dogs for more than one vaccination per vet visit, with a couple of weeks between visits. I also schedule my appointments for early in the day, and I make a point of hanging out in the waiting room for 30 minutes or so after the vaccination so that if one of the dogs has an anaphylactic reaction, I'm in the right place. So far, so good.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)