Chicken And Rice Portions

Guest JLSmith526

Guest JLSmith526

I'm super excited to be picking up my first grey next Tuesday from prison. One of the adoption coordinators suggested that I feed him boiled chicken and rice for the first day or two to help deal with some of the stress.

I know his racing weight was right about 76 lbs. Can anyone help me in terms of how much I should be feeding him? Is it approximately the same as if I was feeding dry kibble? Should the ratio be 50/50?

I appreciate the help!

I know others will chime in, but here is what we did the first few days :

50/50 chicken (or turkey) with white rice. Whenever I was low on chicken, I added more rice. For my 75 lbs boy we fed 2 cup AM and 2 cup PM along with treats. It took a couple days for us to be able to wean him off since loose stool kept coming back, but we found out it was the kibble that didn't agree. We switched and now all is good :)

I don't think the ratio matters much since it is not a prolonged diet, just a few days

Also I added an extra cup of water to the rice while cooking so it would become mushy!

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

You will get a lot of varying opinions on this.

50/50 is fine, but plain chicken and rice is not much nutrition. I would only go that route if he gets diarrhea and is obviously stressed. Feeding the food that he eats now will keep things more normal for him. If you are goign to use a different food, I would transition slowly to a the new food in a few weeks after he's a little more settled.

As I said, everyone will have a different opinion. You will ultimately have to figure out what work best for your hound based on how things go for the next few weeks.

Congratulations, and don't be afraid to ask questions here.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest JLSmith526

I just found out what they are feeding him, and plan to buy a bag of that to keep him on it, but wanted to at least be prepared to do what was advised.

Try 1 1/2 cup cooked rice (white), cooked according to the package directions, 1/2 to 3/4 cup hamburger (lean 85% or better) or chicken breast (saute or baked), and about 1/4 cup of veggies (mushed) like green beans. Feed twice a day.

When you transition to kibble - do it slowly. Switch out 1/4 cup of home-made with kibble for the 1st 2 days, then 1/2 cup for the next 2 days and so on. If there is diarrhea, you might have to go back to the previous ratio for a few days and then try again. You might also have to try some different foods although, make sure to use the one that they used at the rescue first. It can take more than 1 month to switch over but, it's worth it to do it slow as your dog will be nervous anyway being in a new place.

This has worked with countless fosters that have passed through my house. Usually if there is a problem, it shows up around the 1 cup point and the dog will have diarrhea/soft stool about 8-12 hours after the meal (sometimes sooner). I usually fed the hamburger instead of chicken as I found that many dogs had allergies to the chicken.

With dogs that had sensitive tummies, I had great luck with the Natural Balance venison but, they were recently taken over by another company and they may not have the same ingredients.

I already have some carrots and beets waiting at home, I'll be sure to add them in right away.

When adding something to a hound's diet, always add only one new thing at a time for at least several days, and preferably a week or two unless there is an urgent need to add something that can't wait. The reason for this is that if you add both carrots, beets and a new kibble, you will have no idea what is causing an issue if the dog has problems. By adding one item at a time, you know how the dog handles it, and will be able to identify any issues that might arise like diarrhea, itching, rash etc.

We see this a lot when people start adding pumpkin and yogurt at the same time and the dog has never had either. If the hound is doing well on the food that you ultimately decide to feed him, there should be little need to put a bunch of add-ins in the bowl. As an example, our Rocket has always had some tummy issues. Over time, we found a food that gave him the least amount of issues, but there would still be occasional diarrhea for no real reason other than some stress like being boarded or being out in the heat too much. We added 1/2 tablespoon of the Olewo Carrots to each meal, and his stools literally bounce across the ground now. No more big D.

Things like pumpkin and yogurt only made him worse (tried each over the years.) While some dogs do well on those add-ins, or may need them to combat a stomach issue, there are just as many or more hounds that can't handle them. There is no "one thing" that works for every hound. This is why I like to make sure I find the food that works best before doing add-ins or supplements. (Having to hose down the yard every time he goes out will also make you think about finding the right food pretty quickly.... :bgeorge )

Everyone here is trying to help when they suggest what worked for their own hounds and there is a ton of great experience here, but try to stick with one change at a time to keep things under control.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life