Treating Arthritis With Leeches Warning: Photos

robinw

I have a friend in Germany who is treating her galgo's arthritis with live leeches. Thy live in the cupboard in between treatments. She says that it has been very helpful and has even cured ear infections for her mom's cat. I've read about using leeches for treatment, but am a bit skeptical about using them for ear infections.

Has anybody tried this? If so, did it work? Any comments?

Thanks in advance.

0BAD207A-F50B-4998-87BC-B6A9B5D25440.jpg

22E80145-E76B-401C-B64E-CE5E3312B476.jpg

The bleeding is supposed to be good.

6A5C36EE-BEF1-46A4-8E32-DAB6194B4C60.jpg

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I am open to unusual idea, but this is beyond my open mind for arthritis.

I saw something on PBS a while ago about leeches being used in modern medicine. Unfortunately I can't remember the specifics but one thing I remember is that it was something about circulation disorders because the saliva of a leech causes blood flow to increase and prevents clotting. No wonder the Greyhound in the picture is dripping blood. Leeches have also been used to help blood flow to places on the body where the skin is dying.

Nonetheless, for an ear infection or arthritis, I'm not buying it.

Well, a small study has been done to evaluate leeches for use to relieve the pain and inflammation of arthritis in people and they came out quite well, but it was only a very small study. They used to be used for various reasons in times gone by and it's thought that the 'yuck' factor helped to cause their fall from favour.

Here's a small article I found about their use in dogs: Click

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

They have been used medically in the hospital where I worked, but usually for circulation ... tip of finger or in my favorite patient her dog bit part of her nose off. You can re attach but there is no little to no circulation back from the attached part and it eventually dies. With leeches, they drain off excess fluid and keep the swelling down so whatever circulation there is is easier. They are sterile, kept in special vials and refrigerated, single patient items. We use sterile maggots in wound care too, they're usually encased in a gauzy dressing to keep down the yuck factor

Edited by Charla

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

They have been used medically in the hospital where I worked, but usually for circulation ... tip of finger or in my favorite patient her dog bit part of her nose off. You can re attach but there is no little to no circulation back from the attached part and it eventually dies. With leeches, they drain off excess fluid and keep the swelling down so whatever circulation there is is easier. They are sterile, kept in special vials and refrigerated, single patient items. We use sterile maggots in wound care too, they're usually encased in a gauzy dressing to keep down the yuck factor

This is fascinating to me. I don't want to watch it and hope I never experience it personally, but I don't at all reject the idea. Getting past the yuck factor would be quite hard, but I like these ideas more than the idea of putting man made chemicals in the human body when nature has created something that can work as well without all the possible side effects.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Huh. I think it's cool. I'd rather a leech than a bunch of drugs.

I think it's pretty cool, also. Doesn't seem to bother the dog at all. She also sent a picture of her mom's cat with a leech, and the cat is just hanging out. I'd heard of leeches for scarring, etc, but never for arthritis or infections.

She sent me this link, also.

http://www.blutegel.de

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I think a couple arthritis studies have been done. Don't know if folks are still studying or not. Leeches are interesting critters.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This is fascinating to me. I don't want to watch it and hope I never experience it personally, but I don't at all reject the idea. Getting past the yuck factor would be quite hard, but I like these ideas more than the idea of putting man made chemicals in the human body when nature has created something that can work as well without all the possible side effects.

I admit it is hard to get past the yuck factor, but I too find it very interesting. I'm wide open to alternatives to toxic drugs.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Fascinating! The amount of blood is a bit alarming.

I wonder if those... for lack of better words... "leech holes" are susceptible to infection?

I think not, if you take a little care. The leeches' saliva is supposed to be antimicrobial. But all I've read about medical use of leeches in humans suggests that the wound should be bandaged after the leech detaches. I don't know why that would be different for dogs?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop