Uti In A Male? What Are The Symptoms?

I think Mason may have a UTI even though it's extremely rare in boys. I found a dried pee stain on the carpet in another room, he was up every 4 hours during the night, and today, even though I was home early he peed on the driveway because he couldn't make it to his "usual" spot on the lawn. He doesn't have a temp (I checked) but he's been "off" the last few days. Nothing I can put my finger on, but just not himself. I hate to go to the vet for this but I'm thinking a urine sample might not hurt.

Thoughts?

TIA!

A VERY Tired GG

iker had a bladder infection. He was "off" (even for him) and peed on my bed several times. I took him to the vet and they found blood in his urine. Through the process of elimination, which included X-rays, an ultrasound, and more urine tests, he was treated for a bladder infection. Since treatment he has been fine and hasn't had any more accidents.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

UTI's aren't that rare in boys.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

UTI's aren't that rare in boys.

:nod Definitely could be a UTI based on your description. Could be other thing as well. I would get him in for a vet visit and run a urinalysis. If you want to be thorough, run a culture too.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You could certainly start with just taking a sample in and seeing what turns up. Not unreasonable at all although most vets won't prescribe meds without seeing the dog so depends on your vet/how long its been since his last visit if the u/a does show bacteria.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest carriej

Our boy Kowalla had a UTI and he wet his bed a few times... Which was very odd. Seemed to have a hard time holding it. 6 weeks of antibiotics and he was back to his old self.

" I can't handle getting up every 4 hours again tonight. It's like having a newborn in the house."

Sounds like my 10.5 year old, but his UA came back perfect. Just adopted him in October and neither his former owners nor his 3 foster moms mentioned anything about his need to pee every 4 hours. 75% of the time his need to pee is almost like a startle response; "Oh, gotta get up and pee!". It's not like he pees a gallon and a half...............it's pretty "normal" considering his diet and water intake.

I know very little about this boy's history, but from what I have been able to piece together and then add my own guesses, his original owners lived in a planned community that did not allow fences. He was most likely only allowed to pee on his property and was walked the around perimeter of the lot on a 3 foot leash. He does not lift his leg to pee and only pees one time regardless of whether he is let out in the backyard or walked on a leash. He is not incontinent - no spots on his bed or dribbling while walking - just this need to pee at least every 4 hours prompted by exaggerated urgency.

Like Nikki, I am very tired. Have not had a full night's sleep since October. Any advice, experience, suggestions?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

No discoloration, very little licking.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead