Gagging

I came here right after Charlie had a gagging episode, 2nd one this week. I am unnerved. I saw LP mentioned and hope it isn't that. For about 3 days he has slept in another room which is very unusual for him. He was just on the couch with me which made me happy but just woke up doing this. I will call the vet tomorrow! Anyone have this in thier dog all of a sudden?

he has had that when getting excited.(I assume reversed sneezing and covered nose for a few seconds. He was just laying there soundly on the couch, horrible gagging sound with mouth wide open. Reverse sneezing to me never seemed this bad, i've seen that in many dogs. This is new this week.

I know this may sound weird.....but do you give him coconut oil? One of my girls started this weird gagging shortly after I started them on it, once I stopped giving it to her, it stopped. I think she may have been allergic?

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

I was very concerned, even took her to the vet, she seemed like she had something stuck in her throat, really gagging, hacking etc, seemed like she was trying to expel something, but it didn't happen all the time, just occasionally. Vet looked her over, didn't scope, but looked pretty deep and didn't see anything so I started thinking about anything new or different in her diet and that's when I eliminated the coconut oil. I hope it solves your problem :goodluck

Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Is he moving air ok? Are his gums a good pink color? If so, you might be able to wait it out, Emmi had a bad couple of hours too and I almost took her to the evet, but she eventually settled down, she didn't want to really eat that night either. I did do a little light massage to her neck and that seemed to soothe her a little too.

Hugs to you both, it must be scary with the bad weather on top of it.

thanks again moneypenny, i should have said it wasn't his dinner time yet not that he didnt want to eat. I debated but gave him bland dinner (he is on raw diet) and put it on a platter so it would slow his eating.He was hungry.

I was realizing i have been buying "Texas Holdem" treats and feeding them recently. They are hard and maybe it scratched his throat. I will stop those and stop coconut oil too just in case. My two are having doggie hoodsie cups at the moment. Hopefully no more episodes as it is very scary. fingers crossed

Could it have been a foreign object in the food? Tripe sometimes has metal peces in it (because the stupid cows eat everything from door knobs to barb wire) if the supplier doesn't run it through a metal detector and not all suppliers do. One time by the grace of God I found a 3/4" piece of a nail-the pointy end- in some ground tripe I was preparing to feed. Just another idea-don't know the particulars of your situation.

tbhounds, Charlie isn't around other dogs besides my German Shepherd. We have a fenced in back yard but do go on walks in the neighborhood.

racindog i do feed tripe but actually tear it apart finely when i use it but will look even more carefully!

He slept well, i think i would've been woken if he retched during the night as i am a light sleeper. This morning he did it twice but not more than once in a row unlike last night where it was several times in a row each time. I will be calling my vet this morning. Thanks again everyone.

Could you post a video of Charlie gagging?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

i know it is highly contagious tbhounds- i foolishly was convinced by two ppl i know who are knowledgeable with dogs to wait, so i cancelled his appt today. Charlie was fine all day, i was gone only 3 hours. Tonight he is doing the gagging again so i have an appt @ 9:20 with the vet who has had Greyhounds. I won't cancel this one!

Vet says he is healthy, clear lungs, heart sounds good, normal temp. A little Irritation to his trachea. No xrays unless it continues. Vet suggested a cough suppressant as needed. The episodes are less and less, only one short one around 4:30am, yes i was up to hear it. Nothing since. Phew!

No more hard treats for Charlie!

I may try slippery elm, i do have raw honey which i gave him a little of. It is antibacterial and soothing.

Thanks for every ones support.

Oh and no i can't post a video anyhow, i have a "senior' phone lol but i do have a new camera that i have to try and get used to so i can get video.

thanks Moneypenny-no episodes last night. This morning he did have an episode upon waking. Shorter, less severe.

He doesn't have the usual symptoms of acid reflux as someone suggested. No vomiting or drooling.

I gave home some warm goats milk with honey melted in. just a little. I am hoping that will help soothe his throat and stop this. If not, i will get a 2nd opinion. IF ist is something like GERD i don't want his trachea damaged. I hand fed him this morning to slow his eating, he does eat fast. Although he never has symptoms after eating.

Very frustrating! I have loved all my dogs but Charlie is special. Not sure why, maybe because i know he had a hard start in life or maybe it's those eyes and the way he reaches towards me with his leg & and touches me with his paw when he is laying next to me.