Hydrogen Peroxide

Yes, it does lose its effectiveness. I actually only learned that very recently when Patricia McConnell mentioned it in a Facebook post. Her dog ingested something dangerous and her old peroxide failed to make him vomit so off to the vet they went for charcoal and stomach pumping. Thanks for the reminder that I need to put this on my grocery list. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It also looses effectiveness if the bottle has been opened.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

It also looses effectiveness if the bottle has been opened.

So this made me wonder if it's more opening the bottle than anything else. Good old Google to the rescue:

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2013/07/09/hydrogen-peroxide-shelf-life.htm

If you've ever pouredhydrogen peroxide solution onto a cut and didn't experience the expected fizz, it's likely your bottle of hydrogen peroxide has become a bottle of plain water. The 3% hydrogen peroxide solution you can buy for use as a disinfectant typically has a shelf life of at least a year if the bottle is unopened, but only lasts 30-45 days once the seal has been broken. As soon as you expose the peroxide solution to air, it starts to react to form water. Also, if you contaminate the bottle (e.g., by dipping a swab or finger into the bottle), you can expect the effectiveness of the remaining liquid to be compromised.

So, if you have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide that has been sitting in your medicine cabinet for a few years, it would be a good idea to replace it. If you've opened the bottle at any point, its activity is long-gone. Good to know, right?

So basically it seems like it would be smart to keep an unopened bottle on hand at all times for emergencies where you need to induce vomiting and replace that bottle at least yearly if it doesn't get used.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest OPointyDog

I want to say congratulations on not having to use it!

Mine has lasted rather longer than that. The current bottle was opened at Thanksgiving, 2013 and I just used it last week, and it worked like a charm. Sadly, I have had to use it about 5 times in the last year or so.... (puzzle pieces, candy wrappers, leather shoelaces....) But I will replace it! It's cheap and better safe than sorry.

Edited by OPointyDog

Guest normaandburrell

Wow, I didn't know you could use hydrogen peroxide to make a dog vomit. My son's very sweet Newfoundland/rotweiller mix ate a little bit of fire ant bait I had put down and I just stuck my hand down her throat. Couldn't make her vomit. Luckily, when I called the local evet they laughed and said she would have had to eat practically a whole bag to make her sick.

Guest OPointyDog

Dosage is 2 tablespoons for a dog about 70lbs. I measure into a plastic cup and then pour it down. You could also use a water bottle with a squirt top.

On the bottles of peroxide I buy, there is an expiration date. It's difficult to read because it's stamped in a dark color on the neck of the brown bottle. The most recent bottle I bought was purchased in January of this year. It has an expiration date of November 2016. I don't know if this reflects it being unopened or opened, though if the bottle is kept in a cool, dark place, as instructed on the bottle, I think it would last to the exp date either way. As an aside, I've never had to give Annie peroxide. I know, lucky me. I use it myself, watered down in a cup as a mouthwash before flossing. I have for decades as recommended by a dentist.

Edited by Feisty49

Peroxide works - and quick. Best to do it outside if you need to use it. Some people measure but the few times I've used it I just glugged some down their throats.

Agreed. If you know exactly what your hound ate / how large it was / did they likely chew it into smaller pieces / etc., hydrogen peroxide is great. We have to use a turkey baster to get it down, but it works within a minute or two, so give it outside, and keep a slice of bread or some kibble with you for when they're finished and looking at you like "what did you do to me?" "ooooh you have fooood!". Lucky all of you who have never had to use it!