Bailey (Yellow Lab) - March 22, 2001 - January 20, 2015

Fiona3

It's with great sadness that we have said goodbye to our beautiful yellow lab. We have been blessed to have this joyful, loving, sweet boy with us for almost 14 years.

BaileyFeb07_zpsefa9c759.jpg

Bailey has truly been the heart of the pack, greeting every new greyhound with exuberance as if his best friend had just walked into our home. He was their playmate, walking stuffy toy for wrestling and a comfy pillow while sleeping on the couch together. Having spent his life with multiple greys, he never realized that he wasn't actually a greyhound. He never seemed to mind that he couldn't quite keep up with them while running in the yard. In his mind, he was just like them.

Bailey came to us in 2001 after we lost our greyhound, Ms. Dylan, and our first yellow lab, Molly, exactly two months apart. We were devastated - the remaining dogs were very quiet and subdued. A month passed and we heard about a litter of 4-month-old labs that were available.

Baileypuppy_zpsa5aa2b3f.jpg

Puppy Bailey at home

We went to meet Bailey, not sure if we were ready to bring another dog home. On our arrival at the kennel we were greeted with 4 bouncing, running puppies with ears flapping as they ran to us. This adorable yellow pup climbed into my lap and started licking my face, his entire body wagging with his tail. Then he tucked his head on my shoulder and gave a big sigh. I felt some of the pieces of heartache I had been feeling drop away and knew he was the heart healer that I had not expected to find. It was a done deal!

At home, our fawn greyhound, Lucy, decided to adopt Bailey as her puppy. She play-bowed to him, played chase & games with him and he followed her everywhere. Bailey adored Lucy and he slept on her bed tucked in next to her. When he became too large to sleep on the bed, he would just put his head on the corner of her bed to be near her. In watching them bond and play, he brought life and laughter back into our home.

LucyBailey2002_zpsc7988423.jpg

Lucy and Bailey in 2002

Lucy passed away unexpectedly in early 2003 from cancer. Bailey was lost without her but adjusted after a while. In Jan. 2004, we brought Fiona home and Bailey was overjoyed. He spent the first 5 minutes licking her face and ears. Their bond was incredibly strong and they were never very far apart. We have so many photos of Fiona standing over Bailey, sleeping near him or standing together in the yard. It seemed this sweet, shy fawn greyhound was meant to be with him.

FionaBaileytogether_zpsb5105005.jpg

Fiona and Bailey - always together

Bailey formed a special bond with each of our greyhounds. Each relationship was different but fun to watch and sometimes very touching. He loved to be outside in the snow and was equally happy tucked in on a comfy bed near the radiator. His favorite playtime was with Fiona & Callie where he would roll upside down on the floor and jump up again to do play bows. He loved to carry his favorite stuffy toys outside and usually had a pile that collected as he marched in and out of the house with a new one to add.

BaileyMarch05insnow_zps30314737.jpg

CallieBailey9-10.jpg

Callie and Bailey

When we lost Fiona last May, it was hard on Bailey as he searched for her expecting to see her in all the usual places. His health slowly declined over the summer as his age, arthritis and assorted aches began to catch up with him. Although we tried everything we could to help him through the aging process, his years simply caught up with him. When we learned he was in kidney failure, we knew it was time to let him rest.

Bailey has been a joy, a beloved friend, a silly goof, the court jester, the official greeter of guests and so much more to our family. There are so many wonderful moments and memories he has brought to our life. In a household of beautiful greyhounds, everyone who visited always remembered and asked about Bailey. With his wagging tail that shook his whole body and expressive face, he made everyone feel that they had made his day just by being here.

Baileyingarden7-10-11.jpg

Bailey has been such a huge part of our life; it is hard to imagine our home without his happy presence. He brought out the best in us, was a source of comfort in difficult times and was forever ready to brighten our day. He was always happy, always ready to play or snuggle himself against us. I will miss those moments when I could stroke his soft fur as he sat by my side. I will miss his greeting at the door with his stuffy tiger. I will miss all the moments when he would appear in the room just so he could be near me. I will miss rolling the ball to him along the floor to chase and all the games we played over the years. So many memories that flood my mind as I sit here wishing he was still by my side.

Thank you my special boy for bringing so much happiness to our home. It seemed for so long that you would be the eternal puppy, always playful, always loving & sweet. You are leaving us with a big hole in our hearts and will be missed beyond measure. Find Fiona & Lucy, the two fawn greyhounds who have been such a big part of your life. They have missed you too!

Goodbye my friend, my Bailey Bug. Rest well! You will always be in my heart!

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry. He was a super beautiful guy. My first dog was a lab and he was so patient, special and so much fun; much like your description of Bailey.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Gone from your side, but never absent from your heart.....

Run Free, Bailey

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I've always loved that you had a big goofy yellow lab in your pack of Greys. We have very similar stories in that our lab Blu came to us as a 4 month old after our other lab passed.

I'm so sorry for your loss. May Baily always live in your memories.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

So sorry you had to say goodbye to your sweet boy - what a wonderful friend he was. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

What a lovely tribute to Bailey. RIP Bailey and I am very sorry for your loss.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I am so very sorry :cry1 :cry1 He was a very special and well-loved boy. :cry1

my very first dog was a pupply yellow lab, home at 8 weeks and lived just shy of his 15th birthday -- Chester. They are great pups.

I'm so sorry your sweet boy had to leave you - he had such a wonderful life with you and your other hounds. Sending hugs :grouphug

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

What an incredible boy. :wub: I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Bailey.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry for your loss f_yellow

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

I'm so very sorry. You wrote a perfect tribute to a happy boy.

Godspeed Bailey.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)