Last Resort...if I Can't Find A Solution I Have To Return Him. Pl

Guest Quinton1

Guest Quinton1

Need suggestions...I came home from being gone and he had busted through the baby gate. The room with the baby gate has now become his room. He is fed there, treats given there, dog bed is there, toys, my old shirt, and can spend hours there when I am home without any interruptions. He was there for 2 hours yesterday while I was gone without incident and was sleeping peacefully when I returned. Today when I left I did the normal things, gave a new treat to keep him busy which he loved, tv on, slipped out without him seeing me and when I got home was waiting at the door. I did not hear barking at the door when I got back and I have no idea how long he had been free in the house. I did not get a noise complaint, but that doesn't mean he wasn't barking.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need suggestions...I came home from being gone and he had busted through the baby gate. The room with the baby gate has now become his room. He is fed there, treats given there, dog bed is there, toys, my old shirt, and can spend hours there when I am home without any interruptions. He was there for 2 hours yesterday while I was gone without incident and was sleeping peacefully when I returned. Today when I left I did the normal things, gave a new treat to keep him busy which he loved, tv on, slipped out without him seeing me and when I got home was waiting at the door. I did not hear barking at the door when I got back and I have no idea how long he had been free in the house. I did not get a noise complaint, but that doesn't mean he wasn't barking.

Maybe you could try letting him have free reign again?

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

First, set up a webcam. You need to be able to see whats going on when you're not there. You can live stream for free using Ustream.

Second, he probably needs access to the door you come and go through. Many dogs with SA need to be able to see you come and go.

Third, have you started using DAP, whether a diffuser or a collar?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Agree he needs to be able to see the door you come and go through.

If he wasn't destructive, I'd just leave him loose :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'd also suggest not slipping out without him seeing you. Keep it low key, but let him know you are leaving so he's not surprised and panics when he suddenly realizes he's alone.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

:nod He does need to see you come and go. When Barkley first arrived he had terrible SA. When I'd leave I'd say "Mom'll be back be good" and still do so.
FWIW - my friend used the DAP collar with few results until she added the diffuser. The combo did the trick for her dog.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Wasabi303

Hey OP-

You have gotten ton of great advice. I just wanted to offer you some encouragement! My girl had pretty terrible SA when I got her 6 months ago. Now after a lot of hard work and consistency I can leave the house, day or night for up to five hours with zero panic. She sleeps, she chews her toys, she chills.

Just want you to know there is light at the end of the tunnel! Best of luck.

I always left the radio or TV on for them too. Since the radio or TV is nearly always on when I'm home, they seem to equate the noise of the TV or radio with me being somewhere close by and then they just nap like they do when I'm home.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing I can say hasn't been said before, but FWIW my boy has SA-- but ONLY if he is focused on us leaving. If we give him his favourite treat (which are teeth-scrubby too, hurray!) just as we're about to go, he's too busy enjoying his treat to worry about us leaving, and by the time he notices we're gone he doesn't mind (and would rather sleep). Distraction has turned out to be key for him.

We considered getting a second dog at first, but have since realized that it's not being along that bothers him, it's being without DH and I! He continues to whine even when there are other people/dogs in the house, so a second pup wouldn't have helped anyway.

GT%20Sig_zpsykmtirf5.jpeg

Sam, formerly known as Macabres Mandate

Featuring his humans Alexandra & Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Quinton1

Update: Still need help :( He has stopped barking when I leave. We are going on about 3 weeks without a noise complaint. He is roaming free when I leave as he was breaking out of the baby gate. Now every time I leave whether it be for just an hour he pees and poops in the same place in front of his crate in my bedroom. This has been going on for a week. What do I do? Try to put him back in the kennel when I am gone? I just got home and after being gone only an hour and half he has peed and pooped despite being walked before I left and peeing and pooping this morning. Suggestions?

I don't know if you have tried the suggestions. DAP difuser and/or collar. Some mild medication like melatonis or benedry. Leaving him some toys and chew items. Canine lulabyes? Have you consulted with your doctor for, maybe, perhaps a prescription medication. I know it is hard, and you are really trying. My first grey was like this and it did get better.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest FloridaGirl

I read somewhere that, to discourage dropping aces and deuces in the house, you can try feeding him in that EXACT spot he has chosen to do his deeds. I think it was some materials the adoption place gave me - a firsthand account of a pup that was doing just as you're describing, but right at the front door. So she started feeding and watering him right there at the front door and that solved it - it was inconvenient, but not as inconvenient as scrubbing doody.

I've read through this thread but I didn't see if you walked him before you leave? Just to make sure the tank is empty, so to speak? Empty him out, get him tired. I try to do that with Claymore especially in the am and while neither of us are morning creatures, it is worth it for the both of us.

Claymore also whines like a deflating balloon when everything is fine. I posted about it on the training board, and it was a real help to read about what other folks encountered, and that some just whine because it's what they do. Claymore seems to whine when he can't think of anything else to do in a moment. Even if I'm right there and he's fed and tired and comfy. It's just like his version of "Uhhhh."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest AngelPup

AMEN! Best advice anyone could give, IMHO.

This is a bit of a hijack, but it deserves to be said. How dare anyone suggest that this owner is wrong for trying behavioral modification drugs. If your dog was having a seizure, you'd give him meds, wouldn't you? If he had an infection, you'd give him meds. Why is it that no one considers anxiety a 'real' medical problem? This OP clearly cares for the dog and wants to make it work. He's doing the best he can.

I agree! As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression it bothers me that some people think that they are not legitimate medical conditions. The mental health stigma needs to end!

Guest AngelPup

I'm assuming that you're directing that statement to me, since I'm the most recent post. I'm sorry you took offense to that, but it was a general agreement with the statement I quoted. That's all. You weren't the only person who disagreed that meds shouldn't be used for SA. I DID read everything and STILL feel that there is nothing wrong with treating the "WHOLE" dog in whatever therapy is necessary to alleviate his anxiety. Barking is a symptom of his anxiety. Sounds to me like the OP is going over and above what most people would go through to help her grey adjust.

Guest AngelPup

i didn't disagree that anxiety is a "real" medical condition that should be treated with meds.... in dogs or people.... my problem was with treating it immediately after coming off the track...

What I've read is that the track where he was adopted from suggested meds as a last resort. She said she has been working on behavior mods right from the start. I must have missed that part where she started the meds right off the track. I thought she just began using them. Perhaps you can point that out to me (I did go through the thread twice, but still could have missed it).

In any case, I'm hoping it worked out for her and her grey (wish she would update us). She definitely gave it a go!

• 1 month later...
Guest annaspanner

Have you tried Adaptyl plug in deffusser? Also, another greyhound, preferably a female may help. I found that greyhounds really like routine, try and keep your and your dogs routine the same, or do something that he will remember just before you go out. You can do this as part of the alone training, so that he will associate that action with you coming back.

• 3 months later...
Guest BuddyfromDC

We also had this problem with our greyhound for awhile. We live in an apartment building, but thankfully our neighbors were willing to talk to us before going to management. We freeze yogurt and kibbles in a Kong, and Buddy ears that for an hour. By the time he's done, he isn't stressed and lays down to sleep.