Diarrhea . . .

Guest Lenic

Hi all, I have had my 5 year old for 4 1/2 months now, he came with pretty wet 'pudding' poo from the beginning and I have tried a number of things to improve this:

1) Iams green bag - helped lots with fewer pudding poos

2) tinned pumpkin (uk based so cannot get those carrot things) - not really changed much

3) worming and stool sample for worms - all clear

4) live yoghurt - didn't make a difference

He now has 3-400g of Iams a day and a can of wet tripe split over 2-3 meals with some treats for training.

Things have shifted somewhat and now 2 of 4 daily poos are soft but just about pick-upable. 1 poo though is basically brown water, this happens everyday and is the last poo of his morning walk. My dog is fine in himself, not messing in the house and eating well. He's been slow to put on weight and is a little thin (most ribs can be seen) but the vet is not too worried.

I wondered what else I should try - is this stress? He came from a general dogs home rather than a special greyhound centre, they said he was a stray I have traced his race history from his ear tattos. He was still on the track less than 8 months ago (May). He was given to a pound in Ireland by his trainer (odd as he raced in England) then was brought to an England based dogs home, neutered (September) and then homed to me. I am conscious he has been through at least 2 dogs homes and was homed to me pretty skittish and afraid of most things. He hasn't had the rehab and support of a retired greyhound charity, and has been through homing and nuetering all in the last 6 months.

I have found this forum helpful as he has many other greyhound specific issues: bald thighs, growling randomly when you stroke him, basic training needs etc. but I wondered if anyone has any ideas for this problem.

I would also love to post a picture but cannot work out how to do this!

I'd say stop the pumpkin for now. With one of my dogs it made the diarrhea worse.

He may need another worming despite the negative tests.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Keep it simple. Stop the treats (use the food as treats), pumpkin and tripe. De-worm with a broad spectrum de-wormer. Make sure he was also checked for giardia. Sometimes these guys will respond better to a low residue diet over a high fiber diet but, for now I wouldn't change the kibble just eliminate the extras and see how he responds.

It's normal for poos to get softer as a walk progresses - the exercise loosens everything up - but you don't want it to get to the water stage.

I doubt it's stress by now, unless that is manifesting itself in other ways too - is he an anxious sort of dog, would you say? Or a typical laidback greyhound?

And is he a keen marker? Sometimes dogs will use poo as well as pee to mark - could he be squeezing a last poo out on walks just to show that 'Kilroy woz ere', as it were? I have certainly known Doc do that.

Somebody suggested trying adding a bit of oatmeal to his food. Here in the UK I would try getting just a bag of porridge oats from the supermarket, and mixing a tablespoon or so of the raw flakes into each meal.

I also wonder if you could be feeding him more than he needs - in which case undigested food will probably be making his poo look rather yellow - or if the canned food maybe doesn't suit him?

If none of that helps, I would try worming again.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Hi all, I have had my 5 year old for 4 1/2 months now, he came with pretty wet 'pudding' poo from the beginning and I have tried a number of things to improve this:

1) Iams green bag - helped lots with fewer pudding poos

2) tinned pumpkin (uk based so cannot get those carrot things) - not really changed much

3) worming and stool sample for worms - all clear

4) live yoghurt - didn't make a difference

Olweo carrots are also sold by Amazon. I just checked the UK Amazon site and they are there.

Has he seen a vet about this? He really shouldn't be having diarrhea at this point. If he's clean of worms and he doesn't have an underlying issue (like IBD), he may need a course of metronidazole to help settle his GI. If i/d kibble is available in the U.K., I'd try switching to that until his stools firm up, then gradually switch back to IAMS green bag. I'd also try adding a probiotic like Proviable-DC, Prostora, or FortiFlora. Lastly, I'd discontinue the tripe, at least until his GI has settled down!

Hi all thanks a lot

In answer to some of your questions, yes he is a very nervous dog, startles easily - jumps a mile if I drop something or something makes a noise, and took a long time to feel confident to move around the house. He's quite mistrustful of people holding food (I think this was used to lure him into places). He's just begun to greet me when I come back from being out but backs away quite quickly if people he knows less well visit. He was afraid of cars, footballs, pushchairs, scooters, children in general and stands still if he sees these. Firework night/Diwali was a nightmare.

I will chat to the vet again as I was hoping it was stress and would improve - as a rule he's not really into kibble at all, if I give it to him away from mealtimes (as a treat) he doesn't eat it. There used to be a bit left in his bowl after a meal so am now giving less - but he is still quite thin. If I give him only Iams he won't eat - I currenlty mix the tripe with the imas and some water and he'll finish that. He tends not to eat if he's stressed - we went to folks for Christmas and he didn't eat much. I am worried about the water poos so will try the vet before oatmeal and carrots as perhaps this is not diet afterall.

Thanks all

1) Cut out the tripe.

2) Replace it with 3/4 can per day of Royal Canin veterinary 'Gastro Intestinal' food.

You can get it from Pet Planet more affordably than from the vets. See their link here

Sometimes you might need to feed more of that Royal Canin to get things settled, but it will do it by the next day usually.

Go into a pharmacy (or better supermarket like Waitrose) and get some 75 mg Zantac tablets. Give one a day in the evening. (Deals with excess acid which causes inflammation of stomach and intestinal linings.) The vet can give you the same strength drugs but at vet prices.

Get some 10mg Buscopan and again give one a day for a while (deals with IBS spasms)

Do NOT give fatty treats nor treats with high wheat content. What i did for treats was to get a 2kg bag of Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal kibble and give a handful of that as a treat. (They find it irresistible).

As it's winter I don't think outside water will have Giardia from birds in it.

Now this all worked for my Peggy who also was quite a nervous dog to start with too, and who had poop exactly as you described. She had a bad stomach bleed from it last year and we had to switch foods after vet treatment.

Whilst you could switch to Royal Canin Gastro-Intestinal kibble it will be about £65 for a big bag from Pet Planet. You could, if you think the chicken protein in the Iams is too high, try Burns Sensitive duck & brown rice 15kg bag for about £48 (six weeks worth). Change to any new food gradually across a week.

However if none of this self-help works then document what you have tried and go to your vet for a complete set of new tests.

Poor chap, he does sound nervy still! John F's suggestions sound good, I do think oatflakes (as above) might help too - they are said to have a calming effect on the nerves as well as helping with digestion.

He is lucky to have you now and I am sure with time, patience and calm surroundings everything will settle down in due course. If you can establish a fairly regular routine for feeding, walks, etc that will help too. Bear in mind that his kennel life would have been quite regimented, and for a nervous dog in particular it is reassuring to know what to expect and when each day!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.