Filmed My Hound After I Left Today...some Q's

Guest Winnie2014

Guest Winnie2014

I know I've asked about Winnie settling in after I leave before - but this is an update with some more questions.

She still gets up after I leave and stands at the baby gate, whines a bit (a few minutes at most), plays with her large Kong (chicken, sometimes cheese, and topped with PB and a low cal cookie), and then she lays down on the concrete in front of the baby gate for ~30 minutes before she settles into her bed to sleep.

Here is where she lays down:

TpvUTKb.jpg

Behind the baby gate is the door. Her bed is up against the wall over <<<< there.

Is her behavior normal for a Greyhound when people leave?

She does settle in and doesn't really get up from her bed once she has cleaned her Kong and gotten up of the floor. Now we do get back from our walk 10-15 minutes before we leave, but with the weather I don't think she's hot. And she doesn't pace/nose isn't running/isn't showing signs of stress before I leave. I change my clothes and most of the time she doesn't even get up out of our bed. And she won't eat a Frozen Kong. She waits for it to defrost first :lol ...and if I use all PB half of it is still full because she's too lazy to get the PB out of the bottom of the Kong.

Edited by Winnie2014

You used normal and greyhound in the same sentence..... :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Seems fine - Rocket often prefers the tile or concrete to nap on. Other times he stays in his bed for hours and doesn't move. Nothing to worry about.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Winnie2014

Thanks for the peace of mind! :beatheart

She's my first dog, so of course I have a lot of questions! And Greyhounds normal? My mistake! :hehe

I do love my hound. We had a fun time at the park today and we got to play with other dogs! She likes to cut dogs off instead of letting them get the ball/toy and then run herself into them. :lol I think this is a good sign for daycare that she will get along with other dogs.

We then got to go get food from a food truck and we met people so nicely! Though she is fond of nose to the crotch as the first meeting. :lol

You used normal and greyhound in the same sentence..... :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Seems fine - Rocket often prefers the tile or concrete to nap on. Other times he stays in his bed for hours and doesn't move. Nothing to worry about.

This made me LOL..literally. The thing with Greyhounds is that what they do today and tomorrow (this month and next, this year and next) may not be what they do some other time. The longer they own you, the more they morph.

We then got to go get food from a food truck and we met people so nicely! Though she is fond of nose to the crotch as the first meeting. :lol

Yep, that's Sweep's favorite way to say hi too. Or from the other side with a good ol' fashioned goosing. :blush

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest normaandburrell

Both my hounds do nose to crotch or goose from behind. I think it is considered good greyhound manners. We humans just don't understand it.

Guest Winnie2014

Now if I stick around on the weekends after our walk and before we go to the Park, Winnie won't let me get up without following me and panting. Why would she be showing signs of stress now? Change of schedule and afraid I'm going to leave her?

It's definitely more concerned behavior than excited lets go to the park!!! behavior. I suppose she is still settling in and learning that when I leave I will always come home, but I don't understand why she is behaving this way when I stay home in the morning.

You should tattoo that to my forehead. Lol.

:lol When I adopted my first greyhound, I was convinced that he hated me. I was used to living with active mixed breeds, not couch potatoes.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Maybe, on the weekend when you're around more, it's just enough of a change from her weekday routine that she's a bit befuddled: she gets used to you leaving, then suddenly you're home. She'll get used to the routine soon, and perhaps won't even get up for you when you come home---we've had dogs like that. My DH used to come home and yell, "Don't get up!" because none of the dogs would get up when HE came home, but they always did when I came home from somewhere. :lol

Like Robin said, just relax. It takes awhile for them to settle in and adjust. And if she wants to lie on the hard floor, what's the harm? The soft bed is available whenever she wants it. One of our dogs would always stretch out on the hard linoleum at Petsmart when we took her to meet and greets. Apparently she thought we were saying 'meet and SLEEP'. :lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Winnie2014

Oh, half the time when I come home she doesn't even bother getting up. It takes her a good 2-3 minutes to decide that it's a good idea. She then lays down next to me until I call her for her to get all the pets (5-10 minutes after I walk in).

She's certainly more used to me leaving 10-15 minutes after our walk. If I hang around after that I don't think she's quite used to that yet. She's perfectly happy to sleep until 6am vs 5am (or even later, but I like to take her out to potty around that time if we wait to walk because it's about 11-12 hours since dinner. She'll get used to the weekend schedule eventually. We're still adjusting to going to the park and sleeping in.

I know I need to relax but damn am I awful at it! Hahaha. Thanks! :)

Heck, right now I'm thinking about how I'm going to do our schedule in the summer in the morning! Summer in Texas means I will have to shower after our walks.

Edited by Winnie2014

Sounds like she's doing great! Do we get a picture of the houndie, too? :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gorgeous! :wub:

And, thank you :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Remember, she's getting used to you as much as you're getting used to her! Greyhounds are expert people readers, so be calm and happy and she will follow suit. It's time now to just relax and enjoy each other!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Winnie2014

I stuck around for a little too long this morning so she started panting and whining at me. I waited a minute until I pet her, told her to get into her bed, and then waited another 3-5 minutes before I got her Kong, she jumped up, gave it to her, and then walked out of the house

Any reason for the whining? I don't want to encourage the behavior, hence ignoring her until she stopped and then I gave her attention before telling her to get into her bed.

Maybe she's telling you to hurry up and go so she can rest. :colgate

Seriously though, if you are anxious, she'll pick up on it. she may be a bi more sensitive to change but will come around in time.

Relax :)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Winnie2014

That's probably it. She does it on the weekends too if I stick around too long after our walks. She is just used to our schedule I suppose. She's fine if I have to leave in the evenings sometimes and in the afternoon after our park/walk time on the weekends.

I'm not too worried about it, it's just that I don't understand why she whines if I'm still home. Lol.