Elderly (11) Greyhound Pooping In The House Sometimes

Guest bubbagum

Guest bubbagum

Rock sometimes poops in the house. Even when we're there and trying to get him to go out. He has never urinated, however. Are there suggestions, or diapers?

Does he have hind end weakness? Does the poop just sort of fall out (versus him stopping to squat)? If so he may have a medical issue like lumbosacral stenosis. THere are medications that can help if he's uncomfortable (like Gabapentin), but I'm not sure they will help with the pooping issue. Washable incontinence pads may be your friend. You can usually get a bunch of them on ebay cheaply.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Scouts_mom

My Mindy did this during her last year. It would kind of fall out when she was sleeping and sometimes walking. It was very solid and easy to pick up. I put incontinence pads on the places she liked to sleep. Eventually found out that she had a tumor growing in her pelvis area that was applying pressure on her colon.

Jeffie does this, and also has a bit of a wobble in his hind legs He went to Cambridge vet school to see a neurologist who told me that he has no LS, and no damage or narrowing to his spine anywhere, but he likely has degenerative myelopathy. He also said that he didn't think it was affecting his bowel, and we might want to think about trying one of the CCD drugs for him in case it was more than he was not recognising when he needed to take himself outside.

So he's on Vivitonin, and I'm quite impressed with the change in him. Before, he was pooping in his bed (on on the way through the kitchen, or standing in the lounge...) three or four times a week. Since he began the Vivitonin, he's pooped two or three times inappropriately in about six weeks, and mostly now tries to get himself outside. Sometimes he recognises that he needs to go a tad late, so he staggers outside as if he's wet his pants, but he gets there. He's also far more engaged and lively, and looks about two or three years younger! Eating better, too.

It would be worth talking to your vet to find out why Rock is doing it, and ask if the CCD drugs might help.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest bubbagum

Does he have hind end weakness? Does the poop just sort of fall out (versus him stopping to squat)? If so he may have a medical issue like lumbosacral stenosis. THere are medications that can help if he's uncomfortable (like Gabapentin), but I'm not sure they will help with the pooping issue. Washable incontinence pads may be your friend. You can usually get a bunch of them on ebay cheaply.

Yes, he has hind end weakness and we and his vet suspect LS, but it has not been confirmed. He does squat, but sometimes it just falls out, as well. He seems confused at other times, so I suspect he's not completely 'with it'. I will look at the washable. incontinence pads. Thanks for your suggestions!

Jeffie does this, and also has a bit of a wobble in his hind legs He went to Cambridge vet school to see a neurologist who told me that he has no LS, and no damage or narrowing to his spine anywhere, but he likely has degenerative myelopathy. He also said that he didn't think it was affecting his bowel, and we might want to think about trying one of the CCD drugs for him in case it was more than he was not recognising when he needed to take himself outside.

So he's on Vivitonin, and I'm quite impressed with the change in him. Before, he was pooping in his bed (on on the way through the kitchen, or standing in the lounge...) three or four times a week. Since he began the Vivitonin, he's pooped two or three times inappropriately in about six weeks, and mostly now tries to get himself outside. Sometimes he recognises that he needs to go a tad late, so he staggers outside as if he's wet his pants, but he gets there. He's also far more engaged and lively, and looks about two or three years younger! Eating better, too.

It would be worth talking to your vet to find out why Rock is doing it, and ask if the CCD drugs might help.

I will discuss the CCD drugs with his vet, as well. I really appreciate the discussion and don't feel so all alone with this problem. He does seem to be aging must faster than other dogs we've had.

How old is he? Zuri has definitely aged faster than Neyla did. She was nearly 12 when I had to let her go because of osteo and up until shortly before I let her go, she was still playing and acting like a young dog. You would have never guessed her age before she was diagnosed. Zuri is only 10 and he's been slowing down for several years, but I really think it's mostly the LS. He just can't play as much as he used to, and the medications he's on for it (Robaxin and Gabapentin) do mellow him out and I think cause him to sleep more, but after giving them on and off for a while trying to treat symptomatically I realized he just needs to be on them regardless. We aren't there with the pooping yet, but if we are lucky enough to make it further into old age, which I am really hoping for, I have no doubt we will.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest normaandburrell

We had an elderly dog that during the last two years of his life had incontinence of both bowel and bladder, but it would mainly occur when we were gone. We had to deal with it by finding a place for him to be where he could be comfy but we could still clean it up easily.

Guest bubbagum

How old is he? Zuri has definitely aged faster than Neyla did. She was nearly 12 when I had to let her go because of osteo and up until shortly before I let her go, she was still playing and acting like a young dog. You would have never guessed her age before she was diagnosed. Zuri is only 10 and he's been slowing down for several years, but I really think it's mostly the LS. He just can't play as much as he used to, and the medications he's on for it (Robaxin and Gabapentin) do mellow him out and I think cause him to sleep more, but after giving them on and off for a while trying to treat symptomatically I realized he just needs to be on them regardless. We aren't there with the pooping yet, but if we are lucky enough to make it further into old age, which I am really hoping for, I have no doubt we will.

He is 11 1/2. Our first greyhound lived to be 14 and was very arthritic the last year. Rock is definitely aging earlier. He still bounces around the yard on occasion and pulls us down the street on our walks. He's unsure on hard surfaces now and needs rugs to get around the house. He stopped going upstairs a bit over a year ago. It's so hard to see them age.

We had an elderly dog that during the last two years of his life had incontinence of both bowel and bladder, but it would mainly occur when we were gone. We had to deal with it by finding a place for him to be where he could be comfy but we could still clean it up easily.

Rock has not been crated in years and doesn't want any part of them. We bought a 'playpen' last summer, hoping he would go in it, but no go. Our home is open concept, so putting him in a room is not an option.

It may be too late for this because of the progression but if your boy does have LS, physical therapy has been really helpful for Zuri. Also cold laser therapy and acupuncture I believe help him, along with the Robaxin and Gabapentin. You might think about doing a neuro or ortho consult.

If he has LS, he may not feel when he has to poop. My boy had LS for five years and in the end, we would let him outside to do his business and sometimes he did and sometimes he didn't and then the minute he would step back inside the house he would squat and it came out and then he was mortified. This dog never did anything in the house in all the years that we had him.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.