Corns -Any New Treatments?

Guest Amber

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very pleased to hear that the duct tape worked Amber. We are continuing to use it on Ubet and it looks like one corn is very raised and may soon pop out. Hope to report similar success soon.

• 1 month later...

After struggling with Kasey's corns for about 2 years, i've given up on the Murray Apothecary method and went with the duct tape. We're nearly at 24 hours with it still on which is helpful, even after a walk or two in light snow today. So I just leave it there till it comes off on it's own and just keep reapplying tape if it does?

The one thing I like about the Murray stuff is that it supposedly has a little bit of "anti-pain" med which was nice because it was directly at the source. Also I found that when his pads were really hard and cracked, that applying it would keep them nice and soft and supple. I'm not sure if I should be removing the tape and trying to apply the Murray's stuff at night and then put tape on in the morning or what. I'm wondering if the tape thing won't work if it's not constantly on, and I know the Murray's stuff doesn't work on it's own for my boy.

So leave the tape on till it falls off and put it on again if it does and hope the corn falls out or shrinks? I kinda gotta get this under control, since he's depending on his front legs to support him more and more with his worsening LS in the back end, and it's now beginning to owie up front.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Django's corns are back, and we are using the duct tape method again, but I am wrapping the toe in a few layers of vet wrap, and then putting a baby sock over it,a and vet wrapping the sock! (not too tight with the vet wrap of course!) Then he wears a cheap boot when we go for our walks. I am going to investigate some kind of corn cream to speed things along.

Note: Applying corn cream at night really prevents the tape from sticking the next morning. What helped was making it rough by filing it and then sticking the tape on. sorta like prepping walls to accept paint. We'll see if it's still there when I get home tonight. I think sometimes stimulating it by filing actually aids in the growth as opposed to cutting it back. I'm optimistic of the duct tape treatment since it stayed on so well and was very well adhered to the corn when I tried it remove it last night to put the cream on.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

48 hours of using the duct tape method....one corn has been removed. I cannot believe this. The tape fell off of one paw, and I figure I better check the other and put a set of fresh ones back. As I was pulling away the stuck one, all the corn came away with the tape! I picked away all the dead, hard callused skin. I sprayed some CS in there and let it dry out. Then I figured I can't just leave it like this all day?!?! I had some old wart treatment I've used before on myself that I wanted to try, so I put it on and it sealed up really nice. I didn't want to leave a gaping hole while I'm out at work or risk him licking it, so I put duct tape on it again before I left. I don't think it's supposed to be covered, however I found it to be the better alternative that him fussing with it while I'm not home to supervise. I'll let it breathe when I get home tonight.

I'm shocked! This was on the foot that has been causing him the most pain lately, and he's been lifting his leg for the past month. I'm praying he will now feel some relief with this corn initially gone.

If you have ever been in doubt about duct tape working, and haven't tried it....try it. Really nothing to lose. I know it won't work on every hound, but give it a go! I'm elated!

Proudly owned by:

Guest AngelPup

I have another question. Does the duct tape method hurt the dog when you remove the tape? Do bits of the corn come out on the tape?

Cindy Lou's corn started out as a little flat dot on her pad. Had no clue why she was limping and took her to several vets--even an orthopedic surgeon. It wasn't until I took her to a vet that had worked at a local race track that we found out what it was. It stayed flat for quite some time and only the very top layer would come off every few months. I started with the Duck tape, but I don't think it works well with a flat corn that is not ready to come out. It hurt her if I tried to pull it off, so I left it there and it would just fall off after a couple days and I'd replace it. We didn't seem to be making much progress so I switched to soaking with epsom salt and moisturizing with paw pad protector. The more consistent/persistent you are, the better the results. Over time, I've hulled several pieces of the corn that way. It seems to pull the corn out quicker and doesn't seem to bother her when it's ready to be pulled out. The corn now is more rounded and larger and is ready to be pulled out in less time than before. I think I'm going to try the Dr. Scholes corn pads as I've heard a few people had success with that. You just need to try a few methods and see what works best for your individual dog. What works for one dog might not work for another. Good luck!!!

Edited by AngelPup

Got the other corn out last night, and put some tape on his back paws. I can't believe all 4 paws are now compromised.

So what do I do with this big hole now? Do I keep putting tape on now that the corns are out?

Proudly owned by:

Got the other corn out last night, and put some tape on his back paws. I can't believe all 4 paws are now compromised.

So what do I do with this big hole now? Do I keep putting tape on now that the corns are out?

For Kipper, I've found that I need to tape the hole. The worst two corns never, ever disappear, and within a day or two, that hole is a corn again.

The tape keeps the hard "bed" of the corn and the new corn softer (and easier to hull again, and again, and again).

His back paws have corns that sometimes won't reappear for months to a year. When I hull them, I retape immediately and check in two days. If there's no sign of a corn and he's not sensitive, I can leave them alone until the corn reappears at some point. We got 8 months corn-free on one paw last year. The others...never go away. Poor pup.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

• 6 months later...

Aaaah the corn has come back ...we were good for 6 months. It's not as bad as last time (yet) mainly lame on stony ground. So back to the gorilla tape this past week. Doesn't seem to stick good. Maybe need a new roll of tape?

Hoping the tape will work its magic again

• 1 month later...

after checking with the vet, it turns out not to be the original corn, it's a different paw. So...still sticking that tape on and hoping it works its magic again. Definitely it's less sore, but still not pain free. Difficult to get tape to stick this time round, so got new tape on order, maybe the one i used before has dried out a bit.

People are swearing by Burts Bee Salve. Keep putting it on and they fall off.

I read on FB about the Burt's Bee Hand Salve and have just started putting it on twice a day. Fingers crossed. We pretty much keep her corns hulled on a weekly basis and she wears booties when she walks outside.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg