Broken Tooth Painful?

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Hi guys, haven't written on here Ina while. I have just been so busy with work and life in general and everything has been going so smooth with my pack.

But anyhoo, I have a question about Izzy. She has never been a good eater, sometimes better than others, but she has been just picking the last few days.

Then, today I noticed that one of her lower canine (long) tooth was broken off almost in half. I am not sure when or how it happened and I guess there is the possibility that she came from Spain that way, but I really think I would have noticed at some point before today. Plus the vet has looked at her mouth a few times over the last couple of years, and I think they would have mentioned it.

Her breath is not the best, so I'm sure it's time for her to get a dental. I'm just curious, how painful is a broken tooth like that? There is no root showing. It's just like a huge chip, I guess. But half the tooth.

She is going for her annual checkup next week so I can discuss with her dr. I'm just hoping she is not in a tremendous amount of pain. She is fine except eating very gingerly, as she always have since we adopted her....

I am sure others may be more knowledgeable, but one of my greys had just nubs for front bottom teeth and chipped lower canine (long teeth) which never bothered him. He had regular dentals with no problems and never lost any teeth. It was assumed his condition was due to chewing on his crate at the track.

I think if the root/nerve of the tooth is exposed, it would cause pain so it is good for the vet to give his opinion.

Edited by greyhoundlady

I assume they have nerves in their teeth like we do. If it's broken off that much it probably bothers her. Do you think you can move up her appointment?

Sending good thoughts for little Izzy.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

That tooth needs to be probed and ideally x-rayed. I would schedule the dental prophy ASAP. If it's determined that the tooth is comprised extraction will most likely be recommended. With root exposure not only is it painful it is a conduit for infection. Another option is to see a veterinary dentist where other treatments can be performed-root canal......

Guest Steve123

My greyhound had to have two of her teeth removed, despite us cleaning her teeth everyday the vet said it was just a common thing in greyhounds to have less than great teeth over the years. One of her teeth was chipped that She had removed, this at the time forced her to chew with her back teeth more and it turned into some floppy meal times lol. Vet said that in her case her chipped tooth was the equivalent of sensitive teeth to us, but that it would hurt and progressively get worse the longer if had been left.

Edited by Steve123

Guest normaandburrell

Like people, I think it depends on whether or not the root is exposed. Exposed root=pain, smaller chip with unexposed root maybe just a little sensitive.

Our experience:

In the 1980's our Lab broke off his lower canine was drooling and dripping, had his canine removed and was OK.

Greyhound Diego came to us with a broken canine, the top missing. It does not seem to bother him, he's been with us for 6 years.

Our foster Galgo Paco has a chipped canine and it does not seem to bother him either.

No chipped teeth, but our older Galgo, Marco, is a very slow eater.

I would get it checked out though! Good luck Izzy :beatheart

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I'd think a broken tooth would be painful, but again it's root exposure. I know Kasey (and most greys now that I think about it) have little nibs for front teeth that show the pulp and doesn't seem to bother him at all. The fact that it's a canine can't be good - but at least it is the lower and not the upper. The uppers are attached to all the sinuses, so for sure those I would gather would be painful if broken. Good luck.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015