Leash Reactivity

Guest Winnie2014

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Winnie2014

Well we've had two great walks so far! Even with a dog running off leash. She was upbeat, excited, but every time I called her name she looked at me! She still likes to rubberneck and look at the dogs sometimes, but she also started looking at me when we approached a dog as well. So progress!

Still going to be a process, but it's a start!

Guest Winnie2014

Well we're reacting again on walks. But 90% of the time, it's more tail wagging, I wanna play type of reaction. She's now trying to subvert my attention by ducking behind me to say hi to the dog, but I just tug and tell her "Let's go!" and call her name/tell her to stay to get her attention back.

If I redirect her and turn her around is when we get some more growling/possessive behavior, so I know now it's best to either guide her around the dog or just continue feeding treats as we walk past.

We've had good interactions with dogs on leash in the common areas of my apartment and good interactions with kids at our meet and greet, which went well. She was possessive and snippy/barky about the other hounds getting near her bed, so next time I'm not going to bring that out. Only other time she has shown signs of resource guarding was when she had a plastic bottle and I just redirected her attention with another shiny thing and took it away. She's fine with humans touching her on her bed, but other dogs not so much. I'm looking forward to taking her again next month. Last night a lab puppy decided to try and climb on her and Winnie just stood there like a good girl and they sniffed each other nicely. Around the apartment complex, she will still whine at the other dog, but they do greet each other politely, even if the other dog comes up to her face to face, Winnie will usually look for the butt and smell first. LOL.

That all sounds like it's going in the right direction :thumbs-up Maybe she gets a bit grumpy when you try to turn her cos the leash goes tight? It is really difficult to keep the leash loose all the time though, especially if they pull or lunge.

My Oscar was quite tolerant of small puppies (as adult dogs should be) but boy, he was NOT happy about 'bigger' puppies who should know better jumping on him! But it's good that Winnie was too - just watch out though, when that lab gets older if it continues to jump on dogs in greeting she will give him what for (and quite right too).

My Fey has been a bit GrumpyPants since an incident with a full-grown puppy-brain lab that was loose and jumped all over her in crazy fashion when she was on lead, she was not impressed at all and it did not heed her warnings, so I had to use my foot to get rid of it. There was a really rude dog at agility last night, a cockerpoo that was nuts, bounce, bounce, bounce, jump on dogs every chance, a Springer gave it a right good telling off and my Fey would as well.

She's been a bit less tolerant of meeting off leash dogs when she is on lead since the crazy lab incident, well can't blame her really. So we're going to be doing a bit of positive classical conditioning around nice, well mannered dogs on leash too I think .