New Greyhound With Rash On Back Legs

Guest ms3569

Guest ms3569

I recently adopted a male greyhound who know has a fine, raised pinkish rash on his back legs. When he came to us he was on Costco food. We don't have a Costco locally so I changed him gradually over the last 3 weeks to Nutro Natural Choice adult formula with chicken, whole brown rice and oatmeal formula. The only other new thing we have given him is Nylabone Nutri Dent chicken flavor dental chews. He has his first vet. visit on Saturday. Does anybody have an experiece with rashes? I'm just wondering if theirs anything I should or shouldn't do?

Guest sireltonsmom

Did he come to you with it? If so, contact the adoption group and ask them for what they know. If it isn't itching, bleeding, or getting way worse, Saturday will be time enough for your vet to look at it and recommend a salve. I use Neosporin on rashes/sores/wounds when necessary. The dog licking it isn't dangerous to him. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

Do you have a cedar bed?

Or perhaps has the bed been recently washed with a lot of fragrant detergent or fabric softener?

My hound gets terrible skin "rashes" due to food allergies, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet, since he's so new to you. Try to contact your adoption group for some guidance first.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest ms3569

Did he come to you with it? If so, contact the adoption group and ask them for what they know. If it isn't itching, bleeding, or getting way worse, Saturday will be time enough for your vet to look at it and recommend a salve. I use Neosporin on rashes/sores/wounds when necessary. The dog licking it isn't dangerous to him. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

Our new greyhound didn't come with a rash. It's new in the past few days. He doesn't have a cedar bed. I noticed the rash is predominantly on his Right back lower leg. I will try a little Neosporin. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I wanted to give everyone who replied to my post an update. My dog was to the vet. this morning. He thought it might be mites, but he did a skin scraping that was negative. He said it could still be mites but he didn't think so. He prescribed a antibiotic/steroid ointment for 10 days. Hopefully it will help and not be mites. Has anyone had a problem with mites and their dog?