Panic Attack From The Smell Of Lamb Cooking

Guest Murffee1

The smell of raw and cooking lamb makes me too close to vomiting for comfort, so I don't blame him.

As for someone's dog being afraid of the smell of ferrets, Bu has met 2 ferrets and he was terrified!! They cornered him in a chair and I had to rescue him from them. Of course they thought he was their friend and wouldn't have hurt him if the could. And he could kill them in 1 snap or even stomp if he wanted to, but that didn't matter to him.

Guest alisonritchie

Richard, my friend sent me this link this morning. She knows all about my boy Champ's lamb weirdness and doesn't think I am totally nuts ( about this anyway ). I used to eat lamb all the time and then I got my Greyhounds. One day I had just started cooking some chops and the minute they stared sizzling Champ went totally loco. For 24 hours I had a crazy boy who would go outside to our backyard and bark and bark and bark, then he would come inside and go from front to back of house just acting weird. Been around 6 years so I don't remember all the details but I do remember having to sleep on the couch with him on the floor beside me on a very short leash. 2nd time it wasn't as bad- a neighbour had their bbq on in their front yard and while they said they weren't cooking meat at the time, they are Greek and I know they eat a lot of lamb. The reaction wasn't nearly as bad or as long but it was at least 100 ft away and outdoors. I remember asking around at the time and someone suggested he'd been in a hauler fire and the smoke bothered him -if that was the case he's react to all of my cooking. Glad to have some explanation finally.

• 1 year later...

I found out last night that you (at least I) don't even have to cook it. Neighbor had cans of lamb and rice food. Treat! Canned food. Into the bowl it went. Into a massive pacing, licking, refusing to settle down and being majorly anxious state, went Tallulah.

Removed the food, gave her some rescue remedy, lit a scented candle. About an hour or so later she calmed down a bit.

Yikes!

• 1 year later...
Guest taradaktl

Thank you!!! Our boy is unshakable (he doesn't flinch at thunder, could care less about loud noises, hardly acknowledges non-greyhounds), so when he ran away from his dish last night, we were immediately concerned. We feed raw, so it's raw lamb, too! Charlie had beef tonight instead and is immediately back to himself.

I feed sheep and lamb ( meat snd bones) regularly because a friend of mine owns several flocks. I never encountered this behaviour but I never cooked lamb either. Raw is not the problem around here.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Yeah, it's a thing. If you google it there's a lot of anecdotal experiences.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The first time I cooked lamb with Charlie, he was really uneasy, pacing, sniffing the air, wouldn't settle down. I offered a raw piece for him to try and it must have taken him 5 whole minutes of sniffing for him to eat it. And we feed lamb and chicken kibbles!

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

• 1 year later...

My greyhound just totally freaked out as soon as the lamb started to cook. I have two greyhounds. The girl stood beside me smelling the meat the boy ran around the house panting and peeing everywhere while he ran. He threw his head back and sniffed the air. I took him outside and then he refused to come back in. I had to run the fan and spray room spray everywhere. I finally got him back in through the back door. He finally after an hour laid down but he is up against the sliding door as far as he can get from the kitchen. No spice on the lamb. Its ground lamb and I only put salt on it. I googled it and was shocked it's a thing!

Greyhounds aren't the only ones not to like the smell of cooking lamb, I'm not to keen on it either, other meats are OK but something about lamb :dunno

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I am very late to this chat but when we first got our boy Buddy, just over a year ago, he freaked out one evening while I was cooking, then he stood in the kitchen doorway and scarpered into the garden if I went near him. We only worked out that it was the smell of lamb that did it when we cooked it again and had the same reaction. However...when we walk him near sheep he goes bonkers and wants to chase them. If only he knew that they were the meaty creatures that freak him out so much.

Now we avoid cooking lamb at home (although I know I can use it as a weapon to get a bit of alone time without Buddy stuck to my right thigh!)

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23