Winter Boots

Guest jfhandy

Guest jfhandy

I'm sure this is talked about somewhere but I haven't found it yet. I've moved to Indiana and the temperature has hovered in the high twenties and low thirties. My dog lives to walk and doesn't seem to mind walking barefoot but I feel like I should get him shoes? Is that a waste? Anyone try these http://www.k9apparel.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=BO-GH

Guest Scouts_mom

Dogs' have tough feet--I don't see a need for boots at those temperatures. However if he is going to be walking on roads that have been salted or had other de-icers put on them, I would definitely consider boots.

I have those boots (came with the coat and tummy warmer, in a package). Easy to put on plus keeps her lower legs warm. I only use them in the real cold, though. For medium cold, I'll use short musher booties from Dog Booties, in a medium. For not too cold (like now) but wet, I use the Pawz booties from the pet store or Walmart, again in medium. At the moment, our temperature is -6C/21F and so far this winter, I've only used the Pawz booties.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

If your dog seems find on walks so far, I personally wouldn't bother with booties. We walk in all kinds of weather, and I ditched the booties long ago because the dogs hate them. If your dog is limping due to salt or extremely low temps, then you may want to invest in some booties (I personally find the rubber Pawz ones the only kind that stay on). Otherwise, I wouldn't bother, my pups have walked in very cold temps, and never need booties unless salt is involved (luckily my town uses sand).

I live in Indianapolis and have three greys and a large mutt. The only time any of them have ever wore a "boot" is when they had a wrapped foot for some reason. We just limited outside time a lot last winter when the temps were below zero.

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

I bought those. Mine do not like to wear them on walks. I have one dummy who, when it is snowy out and I am outside in the yard with the non-greys, will NOT go back in the house when his feet freeze. I thought if he wore those he would be able to stay out. They did help, but at some point he will run and one always comes off then I can't find it till the snow melts. I've heard positive comments on the Pawz ones too.

siggy2.jpg

Guest racergirl435

I have boots like those and they just did not work. The seams in the feet are weird once the boots got wet I had the version with leather on the feet. Also, the velcro straps stretch to the point where you can't get the boots on tight enough for them to stay on. I am currently using Mutt Luks (you can get them at PetsMart) in the all-weather kind. They work good with the exception that the strap is right about the height of my grey's hang nail so he doesn't really like them on his front feet and will stop dead if they bother him too much. :roll: I'm currently working on a hybrid of the K9/Mutt Luks boot as I like the length/height of the K9 boots, creating new foot beds and better straps.

I have those boots (came with the "winter package") and they're a fabulous idea, but they just don't stay on if there is snow more than a few inches deep.

I don't bother.

Once in a great while my dog will stop and hold up a paw. I bend down, blow on it, rub it, and off we go!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It has been below zero here and we have been putting booties on all day. What a pain! However, I do it because their feet get so cold they refuse to walk and we stand out in the freezing cold. They will go out and do their business pretty quick with the booties on and there will be no accidents in the house.

I bought all 3 pairs of them at PetSmart.