Coat For A Greyhound

Guest ms3569

Guest ms3569

I have a new male greyhound that doesn't like things around his neck or anything that goes on over his head. Does anybody have any suggestions where I can get a coat for him that would Velcro at the upper and lower chest? Or any other suggestion that might work??

Sailor was like that. He'd panic if it covered his vision. I would take collars and costs and hold them up around my face, get nose to nose with him, and hold eye contact as I slipped it over his head. Maintaining eye contact was key for him. http://www.longdogleather.com has buckle martingales that are fantastic. I have found coats the have a Velcro chest at TJ Maxx and Marshall's. They aren't a perfect fit, but it's good enough. You just need to keep your eyes open when you go.

Guest IrskasMom

I was yesterday in a Homegoods Store . They had a warm ( Outerlayer Ultrex and Fleece Lined ) Coat that was to be closed under his Head with Velcro and then a Strap under the Belly . It was big enough for a Greyhound of 70 to 80 lbs.

Our Ruby hates things going over her head.... she's even a bit wary of her collars.

But... all their coats go over the head.

So...

I put one hand and arm right through the head/neck opening in her ChillyDogs coat... all the way through up to my elbow.

I then very gently hold her entire muzzle with this hand ... clsing her eyes in the process.... and gently slide the coat down over her.

t did take her time to tolerate my doing this.... and she still doesn't like it, but at least she doesn't cower and run away anymore when she sees her coat.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

You don't say where you are located. If you are in Canada, drop by a Greenhawk equestrian store. Their "Shedrow" coats have velcro closures in both places. They aren't, however, made for greyhounds but they'll certainly do in a pinch. I keep one in my car for emergencies, they are very warm. Once he's used to having it done up on him, you could then work on getting him used to having it popped over his head.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Something like this one? That was Sweep's first coat and while the fit isn't perfect lengthwise (we got an XL), the price can't be beat and it's very easy to get on and off. If you're in a really cold climate, though, it's probably not warm enough.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart