Chase Is Terrified Of The Stereo.

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Chase has only been with us 2 weeks. His last race was 11/7, so he hasn't been off the track very long and everything is new to him.

My DH loves to listen to music. However we learned last night Chase doesn't like it. He pants, shakes and paces. He tries to hide in the bathroom. We love listening to the stereo, how to we desensitize him to it, so he does not freak out? Thanks!

Edited by Shermanator

Last night Lola was shaking uncontrollably because of neighborhood fireworks, so I tried this stuff Adaptil spray. I sprayed it on the blanket she was lying on, and on a sweatshirt that I put next to her. Within 10 minutes, she was able to stop shaking and lie down and relax. It was a pretty amazing result. Adaptil comes in a spray and a plug-in room diffuser too. So, I don't know if you've ever tried it, but that stuff might help Chase deal with his anxiety.

Hey also, maybe you could try some soft classical music first, and then gradually work up to whatever you like to listen to. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591796423/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687602&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00G575OO4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01XSNB4RQKCMBKMTN9H1

Edited by tra708
2rqyqhd.jpg

Maybe something soft & calming to start? This made me think of one of my bridge angels, Kenton. She loved to listen to country music,

but if I put on Aerosmith, she'd run hide in the bedroom.

We have "canine calming cds" that we play in the boarding kennel at my clinic. They work surprisingly well.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Give the brand new dog a break and turn it OFF for a while?

Use headphones?

Wait a bit until he actually knows you're his friends, and then try again at a nice low volume.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest normaandburrell

I agree very soft greyhound friendly music would be best. Most dogs off the track actually enjoy having the TV or radio on low when their owners leave. If it is surround sound, loud, or a lot of bass he will probably need a lot of desensitization over a very long period of time. If you rush it he could become permanently fearful.

You can try turning the sound down and showing him where it is coming from, but that may not help. When my latest grey couldn't figure out where the sound from the computer came from, I tried to show him, but he kept running into the other room looking for the source. Best advice:

Wait a bit until he actually knows you're his friends, and then try again at a nice low volume.

Guest jetska

This would be really easy to countercondition seeing as though the stereo has a volume knob and can be completely controlled by you.

Start at a low volume where you can see he isn't stressed, and feed treats. Gradually increase the volume whilst feeding treats over a number of sessions. Keep the sessions short and slowly build them up. If he gets stressed then go back a step.

Totally agree with using headphones in the meantime - really nice ones would be pretty good!

Our angel Charlie was terrified of our TV at first.

We moved his bed away from it and kept the volume down. In time he got so used to it he slept right under it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.