Brain Lesions

Guest KTPrime

Guest KTPrime

Optimus hasn't been doing well. It started with him not wanting to walk (he has always loved walks. I used to to say he would walk all day long if my schedule allowed), and then I noticed he seemed off balance and was tripping over things, and would occasionally bonk his head while turning around. Took him to the vet who said he might be losing his peripheral vision. After discussing his symptoms in more detail, she said it sounded like a central nervous system issue, and that he may have lesions in that part of his brain. All his outward vital signs are healthy, but it seems like he's aged 10 years in two months. He walks very very slowly, doesn't play with his toys, and just seems like a muted version of himself. I feel like I'm already mourning his loss even though he's still here. We're discussing options with the vet but basically it boils down to they can't really tell without an MRI (about 2.5k, a little hard for me to come up with right now, and even then we might not learn anything that could help him). Worst case scenario is a tumor, a slightly better scenario would be inflammation or infection, though we had him on antibiotics for a couple weeks and didn't really notice a difference. I have a follow-up call with my vet this week to discuss next steps, which very well may be just wait and see.

I feel heartbroken. He just turned 7 in October, and I thought we had so much more time before we had to deal with stuff like this. I can't imagine going a single day without seeing my boy, and I just have no idea what to expect next. I'm trying to enjoy the good moments we have, but he just doesn't seem happy I guess, like he used to. I keep thinking back to when he had a vestibular event in August (vet says she can't say definitely that it was related to the current symptoms. He had completely recovered until now), and when I thought I was going to lose him, and there are no words for the complete and total devastation I felt. Hysterical is probably the best description for how I reacted. I just don't know how to deal with this.

Are you near a desert area or could he have raced near the desert? If other tests don't pan out, you could consider testing for tick diseases or Valley Fever. I hope you are able to figure out a cause and find a cure. :grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Looking at old posts - looks like they are in the DC metro area.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It's so hard, I know.

I second what was suggested above about seeing an actual veterinary neurologist. General vets are great, but there's such specialized knowledge involved in neuro-sciences that a regular vet just can't keep up with everything. If nothing else they should be able to give you some treatment options.

Good luck..........

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree re: checking his thyroid and also for TBD and VF. And seeing a neurologist if indicated. I can just feel your pain reading your post. Sending good thoughts for the best possible outcome. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I agree with the suggestions to run a full thyroid panel. While hypothyroidism isn't common and often overdiagnosed/misdiagnosed in greyhounds, it can cause the symptoms you're describing. I recently diagnosed a 7-yr-old greyhound with hypothyroidism who was showing very similar signs - off balance, lethargic, not playing, poor appetite. After starting him on thyroid supplement, all of those signs resolved. You can't diagnose hypothyroidism in a greyhound just with a T4 - you need to at least run the T4, free T4, and TSH.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest KTPrime

Thank you all for your kind words. Just got a call from the vet, apparently my Optimus is a bit of a medical mystery. His platelets are low, but there's no clear indicator of why, and no external bleeding. His thyroid was also slightly low, but she doesn't think that's the main cause, but maybe being caused by whatever the main issue is. Ehrlichia is a possibility (wouldn't surprise me, as I have lyme myself). We're in Northern VA, which is becoming the worst place for ticks and lyme recently. She mentioned possibly putting him on doxy for ehrlichia. Another confusing thing is his symptoms wax and wane. Thursday and Friday he was practically tipping over and bonking his head on everything, today he's much better. It's so frustrating to not have answers.

She's calling in a few colleagues to look at his case, since she can't find anything to clearly unite his symptoms. She wants me to come in this week and test his platelets again. Just hoping for the best. My poor guy.

Guest KTPrime

She said it was somewhere in the 70s and that normal would be 150ish. I'm bringing him in this week and will request the full thyroid panel included the cTSH you mention. Thanks for your input!

Platelet range per Dr Stack 80,000-200,000

Platelet range per Dr Couto 110,000-205,000

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png