Suggestions For Lawn?

Cozett is our fourth greyhound. She is an only dog..very happy..She is the MOST active grey we have ever had. That being said..our back lawn has turned into a mud field. My normally very particular husband regarding his lawn is putting his love for this dog over the lawn! She is so happy running and playing. But we need to figure something out. the mess is driving me crazy. He has temporarly put mulch down..but that really does nothing. When she makes turns, she digs in and everything just flies. We are looking into getting zoysia plugs in the spring as that lawn is pretty indesctructable. But it will take time to grow in.

We are wondering what others have done when they have a crazy happy dog, but can't take the mess.

Thanks!

Guest MinigoldstarJ

YEP in the same boat. Hubby inst happy that this dog is ripping up the yard when running, never mind the hole digging!! I will follow this post for ideas!

I tried pulling out all of the grass and replacing it with small stones..they felt OK to my feet, but not to dogs…so, replaced stones with pine straw. They love the straw, but it has to be replaced every couple of months and that can get pricey..anyway, the back yard is just a mess and I have resigned myself to just live with it. LOL

Here in the UK where we get wet cold winters and grass grows sporadically (when it gets to 10C or 50F), I put down some horticultural grit and small gravel sprinkled over the top of the turf in the weak areas. It holds it all together and prevents most of the zoomies-skids turning into digging holes. Not wonder lawn... but still a lawn. I worry with bark in case a dog chews on it and picks up molds.

i'm waiting for the dogs to get old to deal w/ our grassless yard. right now it's pine shavings and a rake for us (tried mulch, straw- this is the cheapest) and washable cotton runner going up the steps to the back door. beach towels work really well for the mud collection concept(yup- it's the thought that counts, only your broom or vacuum will really collect the mud).

welcome to the dirt yard society.

We have mulched our entire yard with a bark dust product called "hog fuel." The thing with bark is that it has to be thick enough - 4-6 inches, at least. Our first application (we have it blown on) was about 5 inches and it lasted for two years with 4 and 5 dogs running on it daily. We do have to rearrange it with a rake every month or so, since the dogs redistribute it with their running and our yard slopes downhill. It cost us about $600 for the first application, but like I said, it lasted for two years. When we re-touched it last spring, it took about half the amount.

We don't have an issue with chewing as all ours wear muzzles with stool guards when outside.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly