Ava Isn't Eating / X-Rays And Blood Test Were Inconclusive / Help?

Guest lindsay

Guest lindsay

Ava my 9 year old Greyhound was limping earlier this month and on the 10th my vet found a trace of lyme in her blood and we began a 30 day antibiotic. The limp stopped two days into the antibiotic. On the 23rd she stopped eating, even treats weren't appealing. She had a small amount of food on Christmas day but didn't eat dinner or breakfast on the 26th. My vet advised taking her off of the antibiotic for a day or two to see if her appetite came back. This morning I noticed that she was breathing hard and fast. She wouldn't eat breakfast or drink water. I took her back to the vet and the x-ray and blood test were both normal. I was given a pill to stimulate her appetite. I mixed chicken with rice and some wet food (she typically eats dry food only) and she had a couple of bites. She has lost 8 pounds since the 10th. She's also not interested in water though has had a tiny bit tonight.

The vet said they'd call tomorrow after the tests go to the lab. She doesn't think this is related to Lyme disease because the antibiotic killed it within a few days. It doesn't appear to be kidney or heart related though we'll know more tomorrow.

I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar experience or if you have any idea why Ava doesn't want to eat or why she's breathing so hard and fast. Any ideas or insight would be super. I'm feeling helpless over here.

As she hasn't been eating properly she is likely becoming deficient in vitamins and minerals. B12 and iron deficiencies, for example, can cause breathlessness. This happened to my boy when he lost his appetite due to drugs he was given whilst hospitalised. I don't know whether this is the cause of your girl's breathlessness, but it wouldn't hurt to give her a multi-nutrient supplement such as Nutri-Plus gel until she gets her appetite back. It was a godsend for us when our boy wasn't eating well as it's very easy to administer by just putting a strip of the gel in their mouth.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

If she's home and still breathing abnormality would have her seen by an e-vet/referral hospital ASAP. She needs further diagnostics (ultrasound-more radiographs of the chest and abdomen). Don't wait on this. I would have her in the car already. Please keep us posted.

If she's home and still breathing abnormality would have her seen by an e-vet/referral hospital ASAP. She needs further diagnostics (ultrasound-more radiographs of the chest and abdomen). Don't wait on this. I would have her in the car already. Please keep us posted.

This. Holding good thoughts for you both.

Guest lindsay

Hey everyone!

Ava ate a full bowl of food today. She's still breathing fast and hard but I just heard back from the vet that the tests all came back fine. She thinks that the breathing could be because of pain in her stomach from not eating. Her heart is normal size and her blood tests are normal. She said to call my regular vet when he's back in the office tomorrow with an update. Depending on how her breathing is he may want to schedule an echo for this week but that at this point it isn't high on hers or the cardiologists list of priorities.

It feels good that she's eating a little. I'm hoping she'll have more energy and be normal again soon. I have a few days off of work so I get to be with her every minute.

I'm glad she ate. Did the Dr recommend any medications for her tummy-Pepcid perhaps? Still I never heard of increaed respiration from a non vomiting hound. Glad you'll be home to watch her. Try to monitor her respiration rate. Count her inhalations for 15 sec and times that by 4. That will give you her RR per minute. It will vary if she's sleeping etc and obviously you won't be able to count if she's panting. Make a chart for your vet tomorrow.