Hounds And Cat W Motor Deficiency

Guest CarryOnAMusing

Guest CarryOnAMusing

Hello, I am new to the forum and not yet new to greyhounds as we're looking to adopt our first around March. I'm doing due diligence to research the breed and will certainly be talking/working closely with our chosen agency once we are ready (even before) putting in our application. Our home situation is a little special and I wanted some experience-based advice from individuals.

Pardon if this is a bit of a novel, advice is greatly appreciated. Obviously most of the suggestions you could offer are broad speculations -- since I do not know personally yet the hounds who will be picking us as their family. I guess I'm hoping for reassurances this can work as I've been waiting nearly 6 years now to adopt and am finally in a position to, with a loving supportive and soon to be addicted co-doggie parent.

We have a little white/grey cat named Elune who has severe mobility issues due to neurological damage. The poor girl doesn't walk so much as stumble/fall where she's going. This means locomotion is very slow, erratic, and loud (rugs are down but she falls over off them onto the hardwood it makes a racket).

Elune lives in our bedroom and the back office primarily, so a tall dog-gate will be put up in the hall permanently to keep the hounds and her separate unless we can directly supervise them. I am certain this won't be an obstacle for the 1 1/2 year old able-bodied cat. All his essentials are also in the bedroom but he ought to be able to roam the house fully.

My hope is to have all animals in the bedroom with us at bedtime though. I'm thinking we'd start with crating the greyhound to keep Elune safe if she's bumbling around (she goes between her dish and our bed, with assistance, at least once or twice a night). I don't think overnight muzzling would be comfortable for the dearie. Could it be an option or too taxing? If necessary we have a day bed with a trundle in the office that we could sleep independently, put a cheap baby gate on a door hounds in office with one of us and the other with the cats in the main bedroom.

I feel anxious with so many questions when I know I won't know for sure until I have the sweet greyhounds in my house and see for myself the dynamic between them. Thanks for you patience reading, I look forward to being a part of the community.

How very wonderful of you to offer a home to a special needs kitty! That's fantastic.

My recommendation would be to work with a group that fosters their dogs and will allow you to bring prospective hounds into your house for a home visit. I'm sure there are some hounds out there that could live very happily with your current feline members. My own dog Summit would have no trouble with that situation. He is small animal and cat friendly and has virtually zero prey drive. He lives with 3 rabbits, one of whom hops around under his nose, around his legs, and has even jumped up on him while he slept. I've also had a wild rabbit run out across our path, right under his nose, while on an off leash hike and he didn't bat an eyelash (my friend's Shih Tzu x Dachshund on the other hand went for a 5 minute chase). He has lived with litters of foster kittens rolling, pouncing, and racing across the floors. My other dog, Kili, would be very curious but ultimately friendly and could probably also live with a coordination inept kitty.

So first off, you want a group that will screen for cat safeness. I would then request that they bring over cat safe hounds you are interested in. A kitty that moves oddly may trigger some hounds, so you'll want to see even a cat safe hound's reaction to your cat. And then once you find an appropriate dog, I would just take some precautions like muzzling, gating, and crating while everyone adjusts and so you can continue to gauge the level of reactivity.

Good luck!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest MinigoldstarJ

in my personal experience, greys who are in foster homes with cats are more reliable then ones who are cat tested at the track. Just an idea to throw out there and bless you for giving that kitty a wonderful home!!!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Look into Greyhounds Only, they cat test as well as foster with cats if you have one. Midwest Greyhounds also fosters, but I am not sure of their testing and cat fostering program. There is also REGAP, but I dont have much experience with that group. A new startup group out of Sycamore is 4 Greyhounds, and I am not sure about their program since it is so new. You cant go wrong with any of the groups. I work with a few of the groups. If you have any specific questions, post here and I will try to answer for you. I am a foster for GO, Midwest (on occasion) and CIGA (Central Illinois Greyhound Adoption). I was a cat tester and cat foster up until about 3 years ago due to old age with my cats. I can tell you that your situation is no big deal. The hound may be interested in your challenged cat for a little while only because of the erratic movement, but that should go away after a little while of exposure.

Chad

Guest CarryOnAMusing

Eric (my partner) has had Elune since she was a kitten. She's was a little off then and has gotten progressively worse motor wise but is quite lovable and cuddly. She was lucky to be picked up by someone so patient. We keep a close eye on her quality of life and know the inconveniences to us are worth her having a life many others wouldn't give her. We just got back from traveling the holidays with her -- cheaper and more comfortable than boarding her. I came in from saying goodbye to my heart-kitty after 19 years and in the end she needed lots of attentiveness too. So having one here that needs that little extra is actually a bit of comfort to me.

The rescue group we'll be going with actually does foster home selection based on the make-up of the forever home as best as possible. So I am certain our hounds will be fostered in a home with cats. I intend to be doing a lot of controlled sessions with everyone involved, mainly just be in the same room and hopefully ignore each other. :P

Thanks for the reassurances this can work. Some part of my brain panics and thinks we'll be rejected for having such an unpredictable cat or that she'll get eaten. The other part knows the rescue is experienced and we are capable of providing safe-guards and a controlled environment.

I too think a cat-accepting Greyhound will work just fine, with or without a cat with a neurological issue.

My girl Annie is another Greyhound with zero prey drive. I have a cat who likes to sleep on Annie's bed in the family room (3-level house so a bed on each level). Annie does nothing to make the cat move -- other than come to me with eyes begging I do something. She's also a Greyhound who gets alone fine with the wild bunnies in the backyard. She ignores them. The bunnies barely stop munching clover when Annie goes into the backyard.

I don't see any reason why you should be concerned about being able to adopt. Good luck!

Edited by Feisty49

Guest CarryOnAMusing

I've been following Greyhounds Only online for well over a year now after briefly looking into other Chicago groups online. We're not far from Carol Stream and from what I can tell their adoption process is thorough and support is ever present. So when the time comes, we'll pay them a visit. :)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I've waited so long and now so close to reality I'm getting anxious.

Edited by CarryOnAMusing