Potential New Greyhound

Guest ms3569

I'm considering adopting a 2 and a half year old male greyhound. He had been previously adopted and was relinquished due to his owner being ill. He has been staying with us for over 2 weeks. We are considering adopting him but have a few questions about his behavior. being new to greyhounds I would appreciate your knowledge. When he first came to us he was growling at us that has now subsided. He does growl at my son's dog when she visits. At first I thought this was regarding his bed. He does let her play with his toys. Yesterday he growled at her when I was petting her. Not sure how to handle this? He is also not very affectionate, I think we stress him just petting him. Do you think this will change as he develops a trusting relationship with us? Or do you think this will be his personality? He has many good qualities and I don't want to make the wrong decision about making this his permanent home, but I also want a loving companion.

I believe that Greyhounds have mostly been around other Greyhounds and may not be friendly to other breeds. He is brand-new in your house so I would just give him time (lots of it). Let him come to you and do not try to pet him on his head..just a little ear scratching may be all that he needs now. It could be that his last owner could not spend much time with him because of being ill..I would not discourage growling as it is their way of showing displeasure. If you stop him from growling the next thing could be a snap. Just make sure he has a very soft place to lay and that it is also quite. He will come around at his own pace. Does anyone on FB have that story about being "a new greyhound in a home?" Maybe it could be posted here for ms3569.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest MinigoldstarJ

My very first grey was a male 2 and a half. He was most likely not treated well as he would flinch if you got too close to his head, raised a hand near him, etc. he also growled and snapped at people who tried to kiss his head or lean over him to hug etc. he was aggressive towards other male greys and doge of other breeds. He became the sweetest most loving dog ever! After a few years anyone could pet his head hug him or kiss him. I even had 2 kids a few years after we got the hounds and he was great. Anything is possible!

Guest normaandburrell

Are you working with an adoption group? If so, they are usually very good at giving you insight into your dog's past and present behaviors. The transition to home life is so stressful for many greys that this behavior certainly could be temporary, but you need some help interpreting it.

He will need time to come around, but some hounds are certainly more cuddly than others. Two weeks is not a lot of time and he is probably feeling quite insecure. I would say just don't make a decision just yet.... give him time....don't push him to be cuddly..... ear, shoulder and chest skritches ....

You have this dog as a trial from the adoption group? I dont think it is good for you or he to let it go on too long because the dog will get use to your home & than be returned as he was because of his former owner's illness Growling can be a heads up. Whatever you decide I hope it works out for him & you

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

My first grey did not want anyone near her bed and would growl if she did not want to be petted. She was the sweetest and best companion we could have ever wanted. She got used to us and our home. She is very much missed and if I could get her back from The Bridge, I would in a heartbeat. Just give him some time. Right now he is just unsure what is going to happen next to him.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do!