Help With Houdini Dog

Guest MinigoldstarJ

Guest MinigoldstarJ

I am not new to greys, I have had 3 that lived till 12...but this grey has me perplexed. I got him a few months ago, he was only 17 months old. he is a Houdini...he escaped the wire crate, and he continues to escape muzzles and eat them. when I am not home he can chew anything and everything. From kids toys, shoes to the corners of my throw rugs and the baby gates. I need to either crate train him or muzzle train him because he hates BOTH. Any ideas??? He is a playful chewer. He tries to chew these things when I am home and I redirect him to toys. when I am not home I am not there to redirect so he just has a ball with himself! he has plenty of toys and bones but still likes to chew everything!

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

I know there is a strap that you can buy that basically attached the muzzle to his collar. We had a few houdini's at the group I volunteer for. We had to get a few of those. I can't off the top of my head remember where we bought them tho....

http://www.birdwellenterprises.com/dog%20accessories.html

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/302743-muzzle-keeper-strap/

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

The GEM Store sells muzzle keepers, but it's unlikely to work. I have two greys that can still get their muzzles off with the keeper on. The problem is that you have a puppy. Puppies like to chew. A lot. The *only* thing that worked for us was to tire our puppy out completely before we had to leave, and then not be gone for very long!

If your little guy is food motivated, it should be easy to crate train him. Also, get some of the "Extreme Chewer" Kongs (the black ones) and fill it with frozen peanut butter, or PB and kibble. This should keep his attention for a bit longer when you leave.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Forget the crate. Just come up with a muzzle solution that stays on as mentioned above. At the least attach the muzzle to the dogs collar. He will give up if he can't get it off and then he will get used to it. Of course in a year or two he will probably stop chewing.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest MinigoldstarJ

great ideas! I do tire him out but on days when its pouring out I have had issues. also NO PB in my house due to severe allergies. is there anything else I can put in there that can help? He has a kong but its red, are the black ones tougher?

thanks all I will look into the muzzle keeper and I will also try to muzzle train him. I do have cats and even though he seems fine when I am here, I am still afraid to leave him with the cats. When he gets playful he barks at them and I am neurotic because my other greys weren't cat safe.

thanks all!

I did loop his muzzle thru his collar and he got it off and ate the entire strap off the muzzle. I got him a Baskerville muzzle and he chewed it off. But I could tell that want a great muzzle for a greyhound.

Lots of non-PB options for Kong fillings: cream cheese, plain yogurt, mashed banana, plain mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, natural applesauce, or canned dog food. Any of those mixed with kibble and frozen should keep your pup busy for a little while at least. Good luck!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest normaandburrell

I agree with greys mom to tire him out as much as possible. Also if there are obedience classes near you, this may help. In addition to having physical exercise, he may need an intellectual challenge. This worked wonders with our Iceman. He would raid the trash, eat the toilet paper, mulch, plastic bags, you name it. One time he even swallowed a nylon leash. He threw it back up in one piece. He has not been in class for about a month due to the holiday, and he is getting into the neighbor's trash, eating the scrap wood from his current woodworking project. :lol

Black Kongs are tougher and more hardy for really extreme chewers. My puppy can shred a red Kong.

You might also try a puzzle toy or ball - a device you can put kibble or treats in and they have to roll it around or work at opening it to get the food out.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sounds like he's not getting enough physical exercise and mental stimulation. I would start there.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

exhaustion will be your best friend. have you tried a vari-kennel. some greyhounds don't mind them and they are more difficult to slide out of. you are dealing w/ a pup in prime adolescence, very very trainable but they do need quite a bit of stimulation. personally i find the walls take a beating w/ muzzles and during the colder winter months the vari-kennel is very cozy.

Guest MinigoldstarJ

Thanks love the puzzle idea. He gets exercised several times a day. We take him out back and he runs laps. He loves to run! Funny they said he wasn't interested in running thata why he was given to rescue so young. Guess he likes to run for fun. He also goes on car rides and walks in the nice weather. He is a playful pup and will try to chew rugs and things while playing when I'm home. I redirect to toys or run him in the yard. Of course when I'm not here to redirect that's when he has had issues. There are times he is great alone too! I'm looking for puzzle toys he will love it. he is a smart dog for sure!

Yes I would do food puzzle toys - play the 'shell game', teach paw and nose targetting and other sorts of tricks via clicker training...... mental and physical stimulation are required and at the end of it you will have a hound who knows how to 'learn' and will have some neat tricks to boot.... and you will have options inside when it's raining

Also if you have a room big enough you can use a flirt pole with him. That involves self control as well as physical activity, because the dog should be in a down or sit/stay until you release him to chase the flirt pole toy. Funny how for an active puppy, staying still consumes a lot of energy!!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If you have cats, and he has already shown destructive tendencies, I would try to find another crate that he cannot escape from, as well as cannot harm himself while trying to escape. Your first responsibility is for the safety of your cat(s) and hound as well. Maybe as suggested try a shipping kennel (the large plastic kind with a metal door). I wouldn't try putting him in a room as he will still chew on things and probably the door trim and how wonderful wood slivers are in the digestive tract. If you do have extra cash, you could always buy a racing kennel and you wouldn't have to worry, they cant break out of those, and they are nice and large.

Guest MinigoldstarJ

whats a racing kennel? I am super neurotic about my cats. I had 3 greys that tested cat safe at the track but were NOT cat safe by any means. LONG story short, all 3 dogs have since passed of old age with not a cat harmed. This dog seems cat safe but I still wont take any chances. He seems afraid of the cats and didn't race, he was gotten at 13 months by the group due to h is lack of interest in racing. Funny he loves to run in the yard though. I ordered a few puzzle toys and will see how he does with them. I am going to get a travel cage but I feel bad cause he HATES to be crated!!!!

Lack of success at the track has nothing to do with 1) their cat tolerance; and B) their love of running. Prey drive is mostly set early in life, and doesn't really change, but most cat-tolerant greys easily recognize and accept indoor cats as members of their pack. And *every* greyhound loves to run. Some just don't like to compete.

Unlike Chad above, I don't think there is an escape proof kennel for home use - ie, one that is affordable for the regular person to have in their home. A plastic airline kennel may be better, but it still has a door. A determined dog can escape from just about any crate. The issue is keeping him from hurting himself. If he can't get out, he will likely chew the bars, or try and pull things from outside the crate inside to chew on, or chew on the bedding.

Physical and mental exercise will be your best solution. And it *is* hard with a puppy. Our pup would playplayplayplayplayplayplay and then - SLEEEEEEEEEEP - then right back to playing again. It was tough to wear her out. Finally, now, at three years old, she's finally getting to a point of maturity and "normal" greyhound behavior - napping most of the time!

Guest MinigoldstarJ

yeah I am worried about the crate I am sure he will either get out or hurt himself. His foster mom of 2 months said he had no interest in the squirrels in her yard and I see that here too. He has no interest in my cats even my all white cat who runs in front of him. he actually walks in the opposite direction of her if he sees her. But anyhow I don't leave them unattended. I just got him a black Kong and a maze ball for treats. I will see how he likes those!

thanks!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

A racing crate is an aluminum and stainless steel "L" channel box welded together. Not the cheap crap you buy at Petsmart. They are built to hold any greyhound. Believe me, even the most determined greyhound cannot get out. The drawback, they can hurt their teeth trying to escape, but then you simply muzzle in the crate and you dont have to worry about their teeth being harmed. Yes, I have heard how some greyhounds hate crates, but guess what, you can change that, in ANY greyhound. It takes training and consistency. Every single meal is fed in the crate, every single treat is given in the crate, etc. All of my hounds and fosters dont mind the crate, even when I watch other people's greyhounds that hate the crate willingly go in after a few days when they know they are fed in the crate. Once they go in to eat, you simply extend the time they are in the crate eating or waiting to be fed. Simple. I am looking for a link for a company that makes racing crates i will post when I find it.

Chad

You can't "have issues" because it's raining when you have a pup. Not sure what you mean other than you didn't want to (or for some reasons cannot?) go out in the rain. I says invest in a Gore-Tex jacket and hat, and hit the road!!

It's not that big a deal when you're dressed properly. And exercise is your friend, for sure, with a dog that young!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My first grey, Sobe was a terror. He broke a tooth off and got scraped up badly breaking out of a sturdy wire crate. Muzzles were a joke to be destroyed. When we tried to close him in bedroom he ate the carpet, and the doorknob. And yes, I did alone training. And he was 5 years old.

Babygating him in the kitchen with a kong worked. As long as we 100% dog-proofed it.

The only thing that "fixed" Sobe - was getting another greyhound. We started fostering because of his issues. As soon as he had another grey in the house - he was fine. Some greys just NEED a companion. As soon as we got a foster, after the initial get-to-know all dogs were free range in the house, no issues.

No crates, no muzzles, no issues. Sobe NEEDED another dog around.

Your dog is younger .. so it might be different.

Guest MinigoldstarJ

He won't go out in the pouring rain. I will I don't care it's only water! He hates the hard rain. Light rain no biggie! But if it's dounpours he won't go unless he can't hold his pee in anymore and even the he is in as fast as he went out! He has been very good I have made sure no loose objects laying around except dog toys and when I go out I leave him long packed with treats etc ... He had been fine no chewing! Thanks all it was great advice!

I leave his kong not long. On my phone don't know how to edit from here!

I leave his kong not long. On my phone don't know how to edit from here!