How To Introduce Bones

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Chase has been with us a week, and is settling in fantastically. His last race was in November, he was in a foster home for 3 weeks, and then came home to us.

I was letting him chew compressed rawhide, but he his shredding them, so they are not an option. I gave him some hooves and an antler to chew, but they are higher value treats for him, and he snarls and growls at Travel over them. I said "No," and took them from him. I want to let him chew, but he cannot snarl at Travel. What is the best way to introduce him to chew toys without him guarding them? Note: he only gets to chew supervised, and does not do this with toys. Thanks!

I've never had this issue. My cat could take things from Annie without a problem. But what immediately came to my mind is that you should teach Travel not to bother Chase, not the other way around. It's not unusual for a retired Greyhound to guard what he's eating. Remember, he's never had to share any food with another dog. If I were in your shoes, I'd be working on teaching Travel not to steal.

Edited by Feisty49

Keep Travel away. My girls have lived together for three years, most if their lives. Both growl, snarl and carry on if the other approaches when they have a bone. The only thing that stops them is if I stand guard and keep the other away. They then relax knowing that I don't allow any stealing of food. I growl so they don't have to.

Can you give them both treaties at the same time and supervise?

As time passes he will feel more at ease and not worry so much about Travel being around his treats.

Mouse was a proper little growling gremlin for the first couple of months when she had a treat in her crate. She would carry on so the other two wouldn't walk past her crate. Soon she realised they couldn't get her treat and that they were getting their own, anyway, and she stopped doing it. Now they can all be in the same room with chewies and not interfere with one another.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I agree, nothing wrong with the growling at another cat/dog approaching when he has his treat. Personally I wouldn't give a hound a high value treat that has only been in my house for a few weeks/months, seems like you are setting him up for failure. If you really want to give him high value treats, I would do so in a controlled environment where nothing can bother him until he is done (such as crate or closed room). After 6 months or so of being in the home and you establishing a trusting relationship with him, then I would try a high value treat.

Guest Shermanator

Thanks everyone! I didn't know they were so high value to him until I gave them to him. But I tried giving them to him supervised, with Travel out of his way for a little. He's not growling at me, that's the first step! Last thing I want to do is set him up for failure!