Attention New Greyhound Owners!

maria

There seems to have been a lot of new owners lately asking about what to have for their new doggies. Today on our walk we got a nice cut on our foot and there was blood. Maryl is what I would call a tough greyhound, she didn't miss beat, kept on walking without limping. I noticed footprints in blood. Unless you love cleaning up blood all over your home you will at some time have to wrap a limb or something because of bleeding, so have some co-band wrap and 4x4's gauze. I do not take them to the vet for this kind of thing, they heal very fast because of that fantastic oxygenated blood supply.

IMG_0604_zpsa14a691b.jpg

The wrap is much bigger than the cut, she is fine. Was limping a bit, then when morning sausage, eggs and cheese were available, no limping.

5621ebf0-6541-442b-a53f-100a3975572f_zps

It's good to have a few first aid supplies on hand. I keep vet wrap, gauze, cotton wool, Hibiscrub, disinfectant, Manuka honey ointment, adhesive wound dressings with non-stick pads inside, etc, and also two sizes of PawZ protective rubber booties, which are GREAT for wounds on the feet, to keep them dry when they go outside. I keep two sizes because you need the next size up so that dressings can fit inside them.

Whether I take a dog to the vet for a cut on the foot depends on where it is and how deep. A great blood supply isn't going to help edges align, and unfortunately, cuts on pads usually gape and stay open, and are made worse by walking. So unless it is a very, very small cut on the pad, I do take them in for stitches - and antibiotics if necessary.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

it can take a while for the just off the track dogs to build up hardened pads. quick walks down the block or longer walks on grass will suit her while the callouses develop. her pads feel like velvet now, right? also, if it's not a deep slash a quick wash w/ saline solution cleans it out and it should heal w/ air helping dry it in a couple of days.

basic first aid supplies

saline solution

triple antibiotic(use once)

gauze

adhesive tape

vet wrap

or for a quick cut- BABY SOCKS or cotton socks and some adhesive tape to hold it on.

Edited by cleptogrey

Oh yeah - adhesive tape and baby socks! Got those too! I make up saline as and when I need it. I also have a bunch of 10ml syringes (without needles) which are useful for irrigating this and that.

True enough, if a pad wound isn't deep and isn't gaping, it'll heal.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop