Help! Sudden Eye Irritation

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

Houston's eye is suddenly (last 6 hours or so) bothering him. At first we thought it was nothing. Now he is keeping it half way closed part of the time, and the corner seems a bit red. It is slightly goopy, but just barely. It's kind of twitchy as well. Could something just have irritated it? We are going to the vet about this, for sure, but is there anything we could do in the mean time? Rinse it, maybe? Should we head to the vet right this minute (almost 2 am on Christmas Eve...) or could it wait till morning? Has anyone else ever had random eye issues like this? He is our first grey and we have never had anything like this happen. Pictures to follow...

I would saline rinse it like crazy. I also would think using a lubricating eye drop would help and couldn't hurt, until you see a Vet. We use Genteal Eye Gel for Severe Dry Eye, per our doggy Eye Vet.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Might be an ulcer. I'd wait until your regular vet opens (if they have office hours on Christmas Eve day) and get him in today. If they aren't open then e-vet first thing in the AM.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

you can use a mild human eye drop- i've administered opticon to annie or a cotton ball w/ warm water and let the water drip into the eye to flush it out. i have allergies & dry eye from taking antihistamines, so i have lots of drops and my vet approved the mild allergy drop. but water will help so, you really don't have to run out. you can wait until regular hrs. after christmas and make an appointment. annie had an irritation and i had it checked. nothing was evident at first, but a couple of months later an ulcer showed up. it's a slow haul healing wise, but it can wait. enjoy your holiday celebrations....

you can use a mild human eye drop- i've administered opticon to annie or a cotton ball w/ warm water and let the water drip into the eye to flush it out. i have allergies & dry eye from taking antihistamines, so i have lots of drops and my vet approved the mild allergy drop. but water will help so, you really don't have to run out. you can wait until regular hrs. after christmas and make an appointment. annie had an irritation and i had it checked. nothing was evident at first, but a couple of months later an ulcer showed up. it's a slow haul healing wise, but it can wait. enjoy your holiday celebrations....

As a vet, I respectfully have to disagree. An ulcer cannot wait. An ulcer is very painful, and if treated promptly and appropriately a superficial ulcer is not slow to heal. I recheck my ulcer dogs typically in 5-7 days, and except for the really large ones they are typically healed by then. The last thing you want to do is leave an ulcer to get infected and start to deepen. I had a dog come in recently that had been at a boarding kennel for a week. I don't know when the ulcer started, but the owners brought it straight from the kennel and I recommended it go to the local referral centre for emergency surgery because the eye was about to perforate.

This may just be allergies or dust in his eye, but allergies typically affect both eyes and dust doesn't persist beyond a couple of hours. Eyes aren't something to play around with.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Houston1219

Update: called the e-vet last night, they advised us to rinse and if it was improving ok to wait till morning. This morning it looks 80% better, a little goop when he woke up but i think that may have just been his eye flushing it out.(Like when there is an eyelash in your eye and it waters, type of thing) Either way, I am so relieved to see the swelling and redness almost completely gone. He has this quirk where he rubs his face all over the carpet after he eats, and i wonder if maybe he just rubbed a little too hard and got carpet fuzz in there or something?

Aw, poor Houstie. I'm glad to hear that he's feeling more comfortable today. Woody had the same thing happen to him a couple of years ago - only in both eyes. The eye drops from the vet made him immediately feel better and he was completely healed in a couple of days.

Give Houston a big Christmas smootch from Miss Sandy! :wub:

:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:xmas

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Guest Houston1219

Aw, poor Houstie. I'm glad to hear that he's feeling more comfortable today. Woody had the same thing happen to him a couple of years ago - only in both eyes. The eye drops from the vet made him immediately feel better and he was completely healed in a couple of days.

Give Houston a big Christmas smootch from Miss Sandy! :wub:

:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:reindeer:xmas

Houstie says thank you, Miss sandy! Were the drops they gave Woody a steroid of some sort, maybe prednisolone? It really seems like he got carried away with his after dinner routine (I'm sure he's cleaned his face on your carpet more than a few times lol) We are keeping an eye on it but it is improving steadily. He didn't even fight the eye wash like we had expected him to, he must have known it was helping and it seemed to feel good. Merry Christmas to you and your boys!

Guest Houston1219

349cd6f7-54c3-42b9-b8de-ae2c84b007eb_zps

3 pm. Yaaay! And special thanks to my brother in law the optometrist on this one :) Lots of saline and a few hours in a dark house and we are back to smiley happy Houston :) Houston is convinced the cottage cheese and turkey made it better, but Dr.Chris begs to differ. Either way, mom and dad are happy!