Kidney Disease

Jake is my 14 year old baby. I took him to the vet last week for antibotics for his bad teeth. Talked to the vet about his excessive drinking. He ran a urine sample and it came back with protein in it. They ran blood work yesterday and it came back today saying he has kidney disease. So he's on a special kidney diet now. The problem, he is an extremely picky eater. He likes everything for a little while, then he gets tired of it and won't eat. What can I safely add to his food now to hopefully entice him to eat? Any experiences you have with kidney disease would also be helpful.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest sireltonsmom

My 10 yr. old MINDY has early kidney disease. Vet put her on gluten free no chicken or beef. We use Rachel Ray lamb. She's on OTC omega 3 capsules, and cell advance 880 capsules as well as Rx Enalapril. So, there are threads here on this issue and hopefully others will share experiences. I imagine lower sodium is good. My vet hasn't talked about special Rx food.....yet. Give Jake kisses and good wishes from us. I do add a bit of 4cheese shreds in with her morning food, and do add some water too.

How high was the protein? If it was an inactive (no infection) you really should run a UPC (urine protein creatinine ratio). If that retuns with an elevated level your hound may be in danger of having a stroke. Can you post the blood work results?

In the meantime cottage cheese and eggs are very good sources of protein that are palatable that you can add to your hounds food. Did you try to feed K/D, N/F or other script diets?

Www.Dogaware.com is an extremely helpful resource.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Candice is going to try to get the test results today, and I'll help her get them posted. The thing with Jake is he does *not* know he is ill. He's a nutball. Does the 2 mile Sunday houndwalk happily, and hates when his Mommy stops to rest him and his 12-year-old sister. His zoomies in the yard scare the beejeezus out of me.

Well there's good and bad here. Yes, renal disease but, no anemia. Often with chronic renal disease the red cells will decrease-not the case here. The blood proteins are good too . Did you run a urinalysis??

The first thing I would do is start a renal friendly diet--you can add in renal friendly yummies to keep it palatable.

Gotta get that phosphorus down. Definetly check the urine (looking for proteinuria).

• 2 weeks later...

The above urine results are concerning regarding the proteinuria. +3 protein combined with a specific gravity of 1.020 (moderately dilute) should be followed up on. A urine protein creatinine ratio should be run.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=PRINT&A=1352

Thank you! Bumping to make sure Candice sees your response. Jakey still feels good.

To test for the UPC do you need a urine sample or blood work?

I'm honestly in a state of shock that I may lose my baby of this.

At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest normaandburrell

I know this is very scary but I think it is very encouraging that Jake feels good and full of energy. He is gorgeous, by the way.

UPC: Urine sample. It's a Urine Protein:Creatinine ratio. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

To test for the UPC do you need a urine sample or blood work?

I'm honestly in a state of shock that I may lose my baby of this.

Oops-sorry didn't see your ? till now --as already mentioned you need to submit a urine sample. Make sure the container is clean (I would use a brand new throw away Tupperware container). Try not to worry-glomerulonephritis (PLN) advances rather slowly with our greyhounds. One thing you will most likely be prescribed is enalapril (or benazapril) to reduce the blood pressure to the kidneys and low dose aspirin to reduce the chance of developing a stroke.

Starting a renal friendly diet and watching that phosphorus level will really help. Offer lots of water.

Have you offered any of the script foods? Has your clinic performed blood pressures yet?

He's never been a big fan of kibble period. I usually have to add other things in to get him going, for example grating up chicken nuggets, mixing in a spoonful of peanut butter, etc. What are some safe add ins I can give him?

The vet has only suggested the renal diet and recheck his numbers in a month. Should I push the enalapril? No blood pressure checks either.

Well, you need to check the UPC first-if it's elevated you betcha start the enalapril and most definetly the aspirin. (Aspirin will help prevent a stroke-when your dog loses protein he loses by default antithrombin--antithrombin helps prevents clots-too little and your hound will become hypercoagulable) BP should be checked too but, it can be a challenge with a nervous dog. Fact-ghs are a breed that documented research proves they can be afflicted with "white coat disease"-- so yes, might be tough to get true BP readings. Sometimes if your hound is relaxed in the car a tech can come out to your car to run some pressures.keep in mind the enalapril would be given strictly to help support the kidneys. If it's determined that he has high blood pressure an additional BP med will be prescribed. Luckily all those meds are very inexpensive..

Are you giving Pepcid or Prilosec daily? Often with renal disease come nausea--Pepcid may help. Regarding the food-will, your hound eat canned food? The renal diets all come in a canned form. If your up to it you can homecook too. Dr Remillard can design a diet for you. Add in's you can try-eggs or cottage cheese. Meat contain phosphorus so you need to be careful--things you can do are for example-feed dark meat chicken (higher in fat and therefore lower in phosphorus). Didn't your vet recommend running a UPC??

Somewhere on hillspet.com is a recipe for homemade kidney-friendly diet, which some may find more palatable than the canned prescription food; basically rice, limited amount of meat/egg, vitamin IIRC. Holler if you need it and I'll dig it out and pm it to you. Decent starting point for a kidney dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He's never been a big fan of kibble period. I usually have to add other things in to get him going, for example grating up chicken nuggets, mixing in a spoonful of peanut butter, etc. What are some safe add ins I can give him?

The vet has only suggested the renal diet and recheck his numbers in a month. Should I push the enalapril? No blood pressure checks either.

I had a terrible time getting my galgo, Cruz, to eat when he was diagnosed with CRF. He completely refused any of the prescription renal diets or homemade renal diets. I kept him eating for a while with canned tripe added to his regular kibble. I used the Solid Gold canned tripe. Pepcid helped with the nausea for a while too.

I'm so sorry you are going through this with your sweet Jake. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Never heard of UPC. I will get a sample to the vet in the next day or so. The general consensus at the vet is that "he is 14 you know." He's still feeling good I would like to give him any opportunity possible.

Diane if you you good send me the home cooked diet, that would be wonderful.

Never heard of UPC. I will get a sample to the vet in the next day or so. The general consensus at the vet is that "he is 14 you know." He's still feeling good I would like to give him any opportunity possible.

Diane if you you good send me the home cooked diet, that would be wonderful.

Shame on your vet. He may be 14yr but, losing him to an unavoidable stroke is not acceptable. Definetly ring your vet and inquire about submitting a UPC (blame it on me) :-)

Royal Canin are pretty good at making prescription foods that are tasty enough for dogs to want to eat. Well worth trying their renal diet.

You could visit this high-volume site for Canine Kidney Disease discussion. I found it really helpful. Just google K9Kidneys and you'll find it on Yahoo.

Here it is:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/K9KIDNEYS/info