House Breaking Tips?

locket

Hello all,

We have had Cap'n Jack for 3 days now :) (YAY!)

We are working a lot on alone training so a lot of In and outs.

The real issue here is house breaking. He is fresh off the tracks so we have been careful to give him plenty of opportunities to go outside. He can last all night sleeping soundly in our room with no issues.

The first day here, we had to physically push him outside because he was a little afraid to go out in a new environment, but once outside, he peed (praise/treat partyyyyy!) We did not have a poo that day since he had been neutered the previous day and did not eat very much.

The second day we started alone training while still giving him plenty of opportunities to go out. However, this time he went out by himself and did his business. If we went out too often, he would just wait by the door (sometimes up to 10 mins) to go back inside. We have been taking that as a hint that he doesn't need to go. If we try to walk him he would just statue, so whenever he does a few steps now he gets lots of praises. Anyway on the second day we babygated him out of the kitchen to eat peacefully and he peed in our spare room. Lesson learned! We cleaned (M. Net twice + vinegar + nature miracle, rinse and dry between each), went out (although nothing happened) and went back in where he settled on his bed. Then while alone training, we came back to a big pile of poop in the living room. That was our fault, as we were not able to walk him properly beforehand, he must have had too much stress. We cleaned and that was that.

Today, we settled for going outside every 3 hours while alone training. In the morning we got to walk (Yay! Thanks houndie!) so he peed and pooped!!! (Praise/treat party like you have never seen! then we went out at 9 (nothing) 12ish (pee) 3 (nothing) we fed him at 5h30 and he went straight in our spare bedroom to pee...My husband cleaned while I took the houndie out. He pooed.

This afternoon he seemed pretty restless and even being outside quite a long time at 3, nothing happened so it came as a shock to have an accident the second he was done eating.

We don't have a fenced in yard so it complicated things a little, but we are willing to walk him (if he is willing to!) And we tried crating but he just whines and whines so we figured he might just be safer to leave him out. He gets his meals in though to condition him.

1. How do you clean so he can't smell the pee?
2. Is there anything we should have done? We never saw an accident coming...Do you take the hound out before alone training EACH time you go out for alone training even for just 10 seconds?
3. How do people get a hound on the Friday and head to work on the Monday! There is just so much to teach!
4. We have been suggested a bellyband, but really it is not marking, it is just full on pee.
5. Any suggestion really, please do chime in :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Try keeping him leashed to you in the house so you can learn his signals.

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest sireltonsmom

The bellyband is to encourage him to stop as soon as he feels the damp. On the track they have specific times they go out and they know to do their business. You might establish a schedule that fits with what you need. He will adjust to it. Sorry you are going thru this. His whole life has changed abruptly and it may take a bit of time for him to get with the program. Good for you taking him out even if he just went inside. You're letting him know where potty is to be done. You could take him to one spot in the yard designated as his 'go' place.

Keeping him leashed to you is good at first as Greyholic suggested. Have you read info on getting a greyhound? In addition to Retired Raving Greyhound for Dummies", there are threads on Greytalk and lots of websites of adoption groups with valuable information.

Your cleaning materials sound fine. Only crate him when you go out. Go out, open then close garage door. Listen by the door to see if he stops whining. Kongs with frozen peanut butter and kibble keep them distracted. Only use she. He's crated and you are leaving. Take up when you come in.

Be patient. He really wants to please you. He's just confused with all the changes. Good luck and share your journey with us.

Thank you for your responses!

I have read loads of info but every hound seems so different! I felt like a bad momma, thank you for encouraging me!

Most of his time is spent on his bed so I am a bit unsure how to leash him to me. I guess he will just follow me around like a shadow all day? :)

About the crating issue, since he seems so reluctant we were a bit hesitant. However, tomorrow we will definitely try to put his kong in (he loves it) and see how it goes when stepping outside. I guess he could be whining/howling for a few minutes?

Thank you I will be sharing our progress :)

Edit because I can't type

Edited by locket

How is he going out by himself if no fenced yard?

When you think it's time for him to go out -- maybe start with every 1.5 hours instead of every 3 -- I would take him on the leash and walk him around a bit. Some dogs need to move around before they'll poop, or even pee. Also take him out straight after he eats -- some are used to going outside then.

Best luck! :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kisstherain

I agree with the others that you should try to keep him close to you so you can watch him. Look for signals he is giving that he needs to go. This is really important because once I caught my grey squatting and I whisked her outside seconds before she was about to pee. If I wasn't there she definitely would have just peed on the carpet. When I just got my girl, she would hold it for 12+ hours and I never knew why. I even tried to get a wet paper towel with her pee and place it outside so she would sniff it and want to go. After about two weeks she started to go every 3-6 hours when I took her out.

Maybe you can keep the door to the spare bedroom closed if he is tempted to go in there and pee. Like I said, if you keep an eye on him you'll be able catch his signals. Also, I read somewhere that you should let them out when they just finished a nap or when they've finished a play session. Hang in there and hope everything gets better soon!

How is he going out by himself if no fenced yard?

We are taking him by leash.

Ok thanks everyone we will be keeping an eye on him. The spare room door is closed and we will be going outside every time he move out of his bed :P

I find it hard to walk him yet as he statues a lot (On the threshold, then on the porch then before going into the backyard) It is like he may not be 100 % confident yet. I am worried about forcing him so everytime he moves we do a "Good boy!" and a little stroke. I guess he need more time poor puppy, he just got here!

Yeah, they do tend to statue when they're not sure what's expected. But you are there to teach him and tell him he's a good boy. He'll get it. :) :) :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This morning we went for a walk in the wood with hot-dog tidbits, we did a nice 15-20 minutes walk but when he started to statue too much, we headed back home. I was hoping for a poo (he even smelled some of his), but we will try again in 1.5 hours :)

Edit to add that he loves going into the woods, he even has by his own accord on leash!

Edited by locket

Guest normaandburrell

He sounds a lot like our most recent grey when we first got him. He also was reluctant to go out, which resulted in a few accidents inside. It will get better, and you have gotten a lot of good advice.

As far as cleaning up, I have used a lot of different cleaning materials for dog accidents, and I really think white vinegar is best for getting the residual smell out. I use something like resolve on carpets, blot well, apply vinegar, blot again, repeat as needed. On hard surfaces, wipe up the urine, apply vinegar, wipe again.

Congratulations and good luck!

Sounds like a couple common factors in his accidents are 1) he wasn't being closely supervised and 2) he needs to go right after he eats. When I have a new dog here, they don't leave my sight when they are out loose in the house. I use doors and baby gates to keep them in the same room with me, and if I can't pay attention to them, they go in the crate. If you can prevent as many accidents as possible, and catch them each time they need to go and take them out before they have accidents inside (and give lots of praise), they usually catch on pretty quickly.

Regarding the crate, make it a good place and part of his daily routine by continuing to feed all his meals in it, and always give him a special treat when he goes in. After he finishes eating, leave him in the crate for a few extra minutes, and don't let him out unless he's calm and quiet. Gradually increase the time he stays in it until he's ok just hanging out in the crate for 20-30 min after eating. If he does whine when you put him in, or after he's been in for a while, just ignore it. Even if he doesn't particularly like the crate, as long as he's not hurting himself in it, he can learn to accept it with training. I kind of think of it like using a playpen for a child when you're too busy to directly supervise. You wouldn't stop using the playpen and let the child crawl around the house unsupervised just because they don't want to be in it and have a tantrum.

Sounds like you're doing a good job with the cleaning. Enzymatic/bacteria-based cleaners (like Nature's Miracle) that actually break down the urine is necessary to completely get the smell out. A good gauge of whether you're cleaning well enough is if he repeatedly wants to go back to the same areas to pee.

I use belly bands to reduce mess and clean up if I happen to not be watching closely enough and don't catch the dog until they've started to pee. But they don't serve as a training tool for all dogs. Some dogs will learn not to pee if they are wearing a belly band because they don't like the wet feeling. I've also had ones who don't hesitate to still pee even while wearing it.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Thank you JJNg that is some helpful tips for the crate, we are trying it at the moment and he whined, went back to his food, checked us out and now he is calmly laying in it. We have also started crating him when we leave (alone training) with his kong and fluff toy. He does seem that us leaving bothers him way more than the crate finally :) (Phew!)

Today was a no mess day thanks to all of you! It is quite hard to babygate in our house BUT we did closed all doors and were watching him like a hawk all day. Every time he got up from his bed to wander it was potty time (poor pup it was raining) so I guess it did prevent some accident!

We will succeed I have no doubt, thank you :)

:) :) :)

I see you are in Quebec. The cold in the winter may be a factor. Please make sure you have top quality winter coats for this boy. I recommend Chilly Dogs. They are in Ottawa. Check them out online. Below about 10 celcius mine gets a sweater, below 5 a full heavy coat.

For the crating please set up a camera to record what he does while you are gone. If he freaks out or bites the bars than the crate is not an option.

Thank you KickReturn,

Actually I think the RAIN was more of a factor. We had purchased a winter coat at the kennel and we now have a Greenhawk coat (it is a equine shop but they do sell dog apparel and it seems very well made with polar inside, nylon outside and a warm layer in between. For the last 2 days we were able to go on walks successfully which has help tremendously every aspect (comportment, poo schedule and house training)

We use skype and/or we look through the window directly above his crate. So far he has not seen us there. And we have not gone too far as to not be able to come back immediately if anything happened. So far he is barking and digging(nesting?) when we leave. So we have started alone training all over again. Without a kong, we put him in his crate, and we walked out, in, out, in, out and in and every time we walked in and he was being silent, cookie. Otherwise we would wait out or walk out without cookie. He is barking after us not out of fear. So in all, we have been able to stay out without a peep for a whole 2 mins. We ditched the kong for the training because he would be all settled and then start barking his head off (on and off every 10 mins or so) when he was finished so the kong was more of a timebomb than anything else.

I think we are improving in every aspect as he gets settled in. We are still not confident about house training so he gets watched all day when not in his crate.