I Have Never Seen A Dog Poop So Much!

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Holy cow, I have never seen a dog who poops as much as Chase. We have had him 5 days, and he is constantly pooping. His poops are still mushy from stress and adjusting to his new food, but the are getting better. There is just A LOT. Is this something I should be concerned about?

That still has a lot of 'stuff' in it.... To give you an idea, when we fed the Costco salmon, the girls would poop four times on every walk, from firm to liquidy progressively. We now feed raw, and everyone poops only once or twice except Hermon who goes maybe two or three times because he refuses to go out if an evening, preferring to stay lying down. The difference in volume is startling.

I'm not advocating feeding raw, but I am saying that fillers are just that, and they tend to zip through.

we feed the same and we call Larry "Captain Craptastic". He'll poop almost always at least 2 times on the walk, usually 3 -- from firm to yuck. He poops at least 2 more times during the day as well. Zeke poops just a little less. They each get a bit over 1.5 cups 2 x day along with pumpkin (good for firming up) and other small add-ins like cottage cheese, plain yogurt, etc.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

That still has a lot of 'stuff' in it.... To give you an idea, when we fed the Costco salmon, the girls would poop four times on every walk, from firm to liquidy progressively. We now feed raw, and everyone poops only once or twice except Hermon who goes maybe two or three times because he refuses to go out if an evening, preferring to stay lying down. The difference in volume is startling.

I'm not advocating feeding raw, but I am saying that fillers are just that, and they tend to zip through.

THIS!!!!! No truer words were ever posted.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Shermanator

we feed the same and we call Larry "Captain Craptastic". He'll poop almost always at least 2 times on the walk, usually 3 -- from firm to yuck. He poops at least 2 more times during the day as well. Zeke poops just a little less. They each get a bit over 1.5 cups 2 x day along with pumpkin (good for firming up) and other small add-ins like cottage cheese, plain yogurt, etc.

This just made me spit out my coffee! Captain Craptastic... I may steal that! :)

Guest msumissa

LOL I was thinking this all last week. We adopted our Jake on 12/6/14 and I can't BELIEVE how much he poops. We have a 25lb border collie terrier mix and she poops one time per day on our morning walk. This guy is a beast with the poops. He won't poop on our walks, but the minute he is in the back yard he lets lose a pile like I have never seen. He will do this every time he goes out basically 4 times a day. All are good poops so NBD, but holy cow, no slacking on poop patrol. We are at our cottage this weekend and he is not good about going on the leash. Since we don't have a fenced yard yet up here, he is going to have to adjust. I have figured out that he really only needs to poop twice though! Annie we just put on her tie out and she does the deed. I am working on training him to go on command. I have done that successfully with other dogs and just telling them to go poopers will work well. Here is hoping otherwise I will get a whole lot of walking come summer up at the cottage!

My dogs were eating a buffalo based food and Clarice pooped CONSTANTLY. It was mainly a good consistency, but, it was a TON.

Switched to Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural and they now poop twice a day and it's very good consistency.

If your dog poops a lot, try a different food.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Yep. There is a noticeable difference when you switch to a higher quality food with less filler in it. Poops are firmer and less bulky.

When we got our first greyhound, we fed him what the shelter had told us to feed him: Pedigree kibble. It not only went straight through him, but frequently and in large amounts. My DH made my Mum laugh one day when he stared at the 'output' on one walk and just said 'But he's so thin ... Where is it all coming from??'

With a better kibble, they poop once or twice on each walk mostly, unless they've been holding it for some reason.

I was reminded of my DH's remark at our Boxing Day dinner when Jeffie got himself wedged under the table, panicked and let loose with his bowels. I have never seen so much poop come out of him in one go! From solid to liquid. And that's what sheer fright will do ... :rolleyes:

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

We are feeding costco's lamb and rice meal. He's not overeating, just pooping! :)

When Carl was on that kibble one time he pooped 9 times on a walk, his personal best record! His poops were ok on it, but when I switched the dogs to raw, they only pooped twice a day on non-walk days. Carl would do his best to conserve then on walks, got down to 4 - 5 poop stops on walks. Could your new boy be poop-marking? I'm pretty sure that's what was going on with my boy on walks.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest jfhandy

I have tried at least six kinds of dog food with my dog. Some made him poop or pass incredibly horrific gas often. Eukanueba has seemed to work the best with my dog's system.

I feel the same stuff to my boys. I call this the Search of the Perfect Poop. I tried high end stuff for Walter and he pooped 3x. Two semi solid poos, 1 that is poo-water. And then I switched him to Costco stuff annnnd the same poos. I add pumpkin to dinners, it makes a difference but its always the same thing - 2 semi and 1 water poo.

I only worry about the amount of hands I need to pick up the poo. When Walter came home he was so stressed out that he was pooping Two Handers. It became a running joke between my ExBoyfriend and I about how many hands I needed when I walked him. Poor stressed out dog. I adopted Ernie this past July and thank god - all of his poos were 1 handers. a lot of people swear by the green bag, I like Costco brand, some people swear by raw but that isn't necessarily feasible for everyone. I think you have the make the best choice you can and realize that not every poo is going to make it to the cover of Poop Magazine.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg