Stella's Blood Panel

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Stella had a blood panel done before her dental a couple weeks ago and I just got the results.

Creatine levels on both dogs was high (1.8 and 1.9), but that's normal for greys, right? (Normal range = .5 - 1.8.)

Stella has 0.0 Eosinophils (Normal range = .06 - 1.23.)

Anything to be concerned about? She seems thin to us lately. Her weight isn't out of range when she had the dental, so maybe because we were watering / mushing her food after she wasn't quite getting same amount of calories for the bulk?

I should add that both dogs poop since the dental has been mushy to liquid. I've added rice to their kibble which has worked in the past, but Stella's in particular continues to be very liquidy. :(

Lynne

Edited by lynne893

Sounds ok to me. Elevated Eos generally point to parasites or allergies so a zero reading is good. Typically antibiotics are given post dentals so that might be the cause of the diarrhea. Adding a probiotic may be benefical (remember not to give at the same time as an antibiotic). Adding fiber until their gi tract recovers will help too (pumpkin, sweet potato, prescription W/D, Olewo carrots...). You should notify your vet if the diarrhea continues as they can dispense further medications.

any other thoughts about eosinophils out there?

There are no other thoughts--it's fine.

Eos is an abbreviation for eosinophil. This white blood cell is primarily involved in fighting allergies or parasites. High eosinophil counts indicate an allergy or parasite causing illness. Low levels are not possible since zero eosinophils are possible in normal blood samples.