Strange Bump On My Girl's Back Leg. Came Up Fast.

Guest AbbyH

Hello,

My girl is 2 years old. We have had her since July. We noticed a strange bump on her back leg. It was inflamed and increased in size rapidly. This was on a weekend. By the time we got her to the vet it was no longer inflamed but it was very large. A steroid cream was prescribed as it was thought to be a histiocytoma. However, it did not respond the the steroid cream so now, a week later, it is larger and is now considered an unknown skin tumor.

Our main concern is that it is very close to a large vein which will complicate removal.

We have seen similar bumps on other greys at events we have attended. We are wondering if these are common to greys.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

20141221_233923.jpg

Why didn't your vet aspirate the mass??? It's has the appearance of either a histiocytoma or a mast cell tumor--both of those are easy to identify on cytology. The fact that your girl is only two would make a histiocytoma most likely but, one can not rule out a MCT without a cytology.

Keep in mind that some histiocytoma's will not resolve to topical treatments--if it turns out that this is what your dealing with and after waiting an appropriate time surgical intervention may be required.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1676

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1600

Why didn't your vet aspirate the mass???

He was concerned about the possibility of excessive bleeding because it is located very close to a large vein. Even more so because she may move her leg during the aspiration. He preferred to do remove it while she is sedated. He will also send it off for identification.

A histiocytoma was the first diagnosis but the fact that it did not respond to the steroid cream put that into question.

Thanks for your help.

Ditto what tbhounds said.

I think the blood vessel is far enough away to not interfere with an aspiration.

My Gracie had a histiocytoma appear on a foot. It came up quickly. Vet was pretty sure that's what it was and added it would probably go away on its own within a month. It did. That was years ago. Nowadays I would have asked for an aspiration.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hard to believe that they want to sedate to aspirate that. Anyway, often histiocytoma's will not respond to topical treatments-don't get discouraged.

I should clarify. Removal is the vet's first choice. He said that since we are going to remove it that there is no need to aspirate especially since there was the possibility of excessive bleeding.

He did explain that some do not respond to topical steroid treatments.

I should clarify. Removal is the vet's first choice. He said that since we are going to remove it that there is no need to aspirate especially since there was the possibility of excessive bleeding.

He did explain that some do not respond to topical steroid treatments.

I strongly but, respectfully disagree with your vet. First-if he is was to do an aspirate and it was determined a histiocytoma there is no need to surgically remove it just yet--you should give it more time to resolve on its own. Second, another very valid reason for performing an aspirate prior to surgery is to help determine surgical margins you need to aquire to achieve clean margins-very important when dealing with MCT.

Honestly, I would be more comfortable with you seeking another opinion before you jump into surgery. The only way I would sedate for this if your hound needed another procedure done at the same time--dentistry perhaps.

I have never heard of steroid cream as a treatment for histiocytoma. If that worked it would be a standard treatment and it's not. Looks like one to me too and a few cells on a needle would determine. If it is, they go away on their own.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I have never heard of steroid cream as a treatment for histiocytoma. If that worked it would be a standard treatment and it's not. Looks like one to me too and a few cells on a needle would determine. If it is, they go away on their own.

It's actually common practice to try topical steroid ointment--but, to jump into surgery especially without having done an aspirate-hell no.

I too would do an aspirate, no anaesthesia needed for that, quick and simple :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hard to believe that they want to sedate to aspirate that. Anyway, often histiocytoma's will not respond to topical treatments-don't get discouraged.

You are right (as usual) tbhounds. Slim had one like that- a histio- and the vet removed it in about 10 minutes with just a local-a 100% cure.

My Ava had a similar looking bump on her belly that the vet thought was a histocytoma. She had me give Ava Benadryl and it dried up very quickly and disappeared, just a white flat circle was left.

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

With all due respect, your Vet is not making your dog's future well being his first priority. Please get a second opinion.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thank you for all of your input. Many of you expressed concern about the decision to remove surgically and about the judgment of our vet. Our vet is not your typical vet. He is the vet that you go to for the final definitive answers. He has cared for our pups for about 20 years and three of them were extremely complicated cases. Other vets told us our dachshund would be paralyzed for life at age 1. He passed at age 15 1/2 with his back in great shape due to his care. Our border collie mix stayed with us for 6 years after developing liver cancer and with a great quality of life. Our lab mix had cushing's, went addisonian, had two knees reconstructed, etc., etc. He got her through all of it. You can see why we have a lot of confidence in him.

We had a long conversation with him about options and deferred to his judgment that surgery was the best choice. She had surgery today and all went very well.

Again, thank you for your help, concern and opinions.

Update:

Piper is doing great. Zero problems (except for not being able to keep her from running). 11 stitches were required and the incision has not even drained at all. We are still waiting for the test results to identify the mass.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

:goodluck Hoping for good news.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown