Was This A Seizure?

My new hound Carter had a bordetella vaccine today.

Tonight he went upstair and went to the door to go out. He was standing there and all of a sudden his head starting twitching side to side. Not violent, just moving slightly back and forth. It stopped after say 10-15 seconds, I let him outside and he walked out and stood there and I could see it happen again. I called him in and he walked back in and went to a bed. He hasn't do it since.

Do you think this was a mild seizure? My vet is closed, I will contact them tomorrow just to get it on record. I know they wouldn't put him on anything because of one event. My Scout had one seizure and supposedly my greyhound Peace had one at a groomer but in both dogs it only happened one time.

I will have my Mom and brother watch him closely tomorrow while I am at work.

He did not pant after this episode in case that is important.

Guest MnMDogs

Greg has had 2 episodes of mild head tremors since we got him (that we observed), neither happened any time close to a vaccination, and he never had any change in demeanor with either. After the first one, we had him examined, blood work, etc. and nothing was abnormal, so we didn't pursue anything further.

The next one happened (again, that we observed) a couple years later. It was over in about a minute or less, and he seemed completely unfazed. He responded to us normally, and acted like himself, his head was just shaking. Very strange...

I'd keep an eye to see if this happens again and try to video it so you can show your vet. Since it happened on a vaccination day, I'd definitely let them know even if he doesn't have another one,

• 2 months later...

Carter had another head tremble seizure on Saturday. He was on his bed when I sat down to cuddle. Lasted about 8 seconds. Then he laid on his side and did it again, this time about 5 seconds. I am talking to his vet today to see if they suggest anything.

Sounds like focal seizure, but getting a video of it would be invaluable.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

If there were just 2 seizures pretty far apart, the vet probably will not prescribe any seizure meds. BUT, you probably want to consider getting rectal valium, this would be used if your dog ever goes into grand mal seizures and they don't stop. This is not a very likely occurrence, the problem is that if it happens, you don't get a second chance to get it right and you would have to get to the vet within a few minutes and you would have to hope that they know how to handle the situation. Time would be critical and not many seizure dogs come out from this particular scenario in good condition. By the way, this is called "status epilepticus".

The rectal valium is used to calm the electrical storm going on in your dog's head (this is an apt description of a seizure). It is fast acting and lasts for a few hours (less potency as time increases) and the intent is that it will stop the next seizure or keep it from happening to close to the previous one. It can also buy you time to get to the vet so they can get an IV of valium going or some other drug. You also need to make sure that if you get this, that they give you the rectal dose and not the oral one - there is quite a difference in the amount given between the two. Note, the oral dose will not have much of an impact to slow or stop a seizure, in other words, pretty useless.

I would also suggest that if you are looking to medicate in the future, go to a neurologist as they have a better understanding of all the drugs available and the pros and cons.

There is a online yahoo group for seizure dogs that is pretty good - some really awesome people with tons of experience and always willing to help ... the FB groups are not so good.

Carl used to have these once in a while, it seemed like he would get them more frequently after I put Frontline on him, so I switched to Advantage and they were less frequent. My vet called it idiopathic head bobbing (you can Google that phrase for more info) and told me not to worry about it. So, I didn't and he was just fine. He could track me with his eyes, walk around, follow verbal commands, it never got in his way. It did seem to go away when I would hold tight into a treat and he would nibble on it, that all-day always made it go away.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Carl used to have these once in a while, it seemed like he would get them more frequently after I put Frontline on him, so I switched to Advantage and they were less frequent. My vet called it idiopathic head bobbing (you can Google that phrase for more info) and told me not to worry about it. So, I didn't and he was just fine. He could track me with his eyes, walk around, follow verbal commands, it never got in his way. It did seem to go away when I would hold tight into a treat and he would nibble on it, that all-day always made it go away.

Nigel very occasionally gets these mild, short-lasting 'idiopathic' head tremors, too.

We have seen them a couple of times a year ... although he could, of course, have them when we are not around.

I don't think his are related in any way to medications.

I am not at all concerned.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My vet called and said that this sounds like a minor seizure and since he has only had two that I know of at this time he doesn't think we need to do a MRI or have any meds. He is due for blood work in June and he thinks it is fine to wait until then as long as they don't suddenly occur more often.

I will try and get a video of it should it happen again.

Thanks for all of your concern. Will post again should he have another one.