Kelp For Teeth

Has anyone been using kelp supplement for the specific purpose of improving dental health? Are you happy with result?

I brush daily, give a turkey neck every day for lunch and poor Hester still has problems. A dental yesterday - no major extractions but he still lost three more of his little nibblers (incisors) up front.

Brushing typically removes about 90% of plaque. Plaque control is your number 1 goal. If brushing is not enough (sounds like it isn't for Hester) then you can consider switching to a prescription dental diet. A good dental diet takes care of about 70-80% of plaque. You could also consider using a water additive. Currently the only one with clinical trials proving its efficacy is Healthy Mouth. I highly recommend it to my patients. It's easy and fuss free.

Some dogs just have worse teeth than others, unfortunately. I brush daily and I started using Healthy Mouth about 2 years ago as well. I give some dental kibble as treats... but really for most dental diets to work they need to make up about 30% of the diet. And luckily for me, my dogs seem to have good genetics for teeth.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I have found that chicken wings have slowed the deterioration of Barbie's teeth along with daily brushing. She has lost a few molars so far and thats a downward spiral when teeth don't have opposing teeth they seem to deteriorate faster. Her mouth seems to dry out easily so that doesn't help things. Mouse's mouth is so different to Barbie's - she hasn't had a vet clean/scale yet and is almost 4, she does have a bit of plaque but she doesn't have the stink mouth. I think I will get her teeth done some time next year and hopefully it will be the only time it needs doing ;)

If daily brushing isn't enough you could brush twice daily. That's what I do and mine are 10 in January and have never needed a dental.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

If daily brushing isn't enough you could brush twice daily. That's what I do and mine are 10 in January and have never needed a dental.

Agreed-increase the frequency of brushing will help. It my help to slowly transition to an electric toothbrush---they are so much more efficient. I use a Sonicare with my boy.