Duct Tape For Corns

I have kept it on a week at a time. Take it off and check; if the corn is still attached, place another piece of duck tape on. Paul had a seed wart pop out after one week. With his corn, it pulled forward and I was able to dremel it. By keeping it covered, Fuzzy is able to walk on the cement sidewalk easier.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

i'm a chicken i will admit. but i am not going to take all the credit. jordan is a fear biter - first grey i have had like this. so being the whimp i am - i have him scheduled for the vet on friday morning - that will be almost 5 days that the tape will have been on the corn. but i also want her (vet) to see it when she pulls the tape off. i think (with all of my non-expertise) this is a pretty big corn and he's going to have a hole if it comes out. so i also want her to advise treatment (ie: ointment, salve, etc) for post corn removal. (PLEASE LET THE CORN COME OUT).

Guest BlueCrab

We've left duct tape on for anywhere from a couple days to about a week. If it's rainy or yucky out, it'll come off by itself more quickly.

We've been using it on and off for years. We only put it on now when the corn seems particularly bad. But we've been dealing with this corn for so long that it often just comes out quickly if I pry it out with a fingernail. The resulting "hole" doesn't seem to cause any problems, so you shouldn't need to worry about it like you would a cut or wound.

Unfortunately the corn does come back - at least ours does. I've heard some people who've been lucky and said they haven't. But most seem to recur. And the duct tape doesn't work for all dogs. We're lucky that it worked for us. But we tried other things like hulling and dremmeling that did not work.

how much duct tape do you use? i think my husband got a little over zelous and covered the entire bottom of his foot. that's the other reason i wanted to take him to the vet. i think they may have to give him a little something just to back him off so they can get the tape off. the corn is on one of his front smaller pads. i was thinking just a narrow strip of duct tape to cover the corn and then stick to the larger pad to hold in place. unfortunately i can see more corns forming on other pads. so i want to get a little more experienced with this (with y'alls help) so i do it better next time. plus if i take him to the vet this time and she does suggest some post duct tape treatment, i will have some for next time.

but i am concerned about the amount of tape my husband used.

Guest sireltonsmom

I don't know about how much tape but I recommend you muzzle your sweet kid so you/he don't have a situation worse than corns to deal with. Hoping for good luck in your corn removal process. From what I hear, it's an ongoing concern. I hear some vets are able to remove them - I think they call it shelling them.

"Hulling" a corn involves prying it out, with your fingernail or a dental root elevator (get them from Amazon for cheap). It does leave a hole, but it's NOT an open wound. People use Gorilla tape, or the extra strength duct tape - just enough to cover the corn and a bit of the surrounding pad - not the hole foot! ;) You can change it every day or leave it on a couple days at a time. Wearing boots will help cushion the foot when walking on hard surfaces.

If you are on Facebook, there is a group "Greyhounds with Corns" that has a ton of info and people dealing with the same thing. No one knows what causes corns, so there's no one way to treat them. What works for some dogs won't work for others. You may need to try several different things to find the one that works for yours.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

well - wish me luck. jordan and i will be going to the vet tomorrow. got fingers crossed that it doesn't hurt him too much taking the duct tape off his entire foot bottom! omg. i can't believe my husband did that. moreso i hope that corns comes out. poor baby - i feel so bad for him........ :( he came out of such a rotten situation - he deserves the BEST! :beatheart

the corn is loose but did not come off/out.....sob. so it is another week of duct tape, sock, and a baggie for trips outside. but the good news is jordan did very well.....all they had to give him was pre-anesthetic.....enuf to get him to relax and they were able to get the tape off the entire bottom of his foot w/o him pitching a fit or trying to bite someone. he's doing a lot of whining/whimpring now that we're home....i'm a little concerned - but will wait until tomorrow to see how he is. flipside - he's got two more corns starting to show on two other pads of the same foot. aarrrgghhh. this poor guy. please quit!!! enough already! ok off my soapbox.

If the corn is loose, you should be able to pry it out yourself. He should feel better with it out. Soak the pad, or use a cream to soften it. Then work around the edges of the corn til it is loose all around the top. YouTube videos can show you how easy it is. If you don't want to take it out, at least file it flat or cut off the protruding part with nail clippers. If it is sticking out, it would be like you are walking with a stone in your shoe! ouch! Why didn't the vet take it out?

He could be uncomfortable if he had a piece of strong tape pulled off his pads.