Violet's Dental - Update: U/a Results Post #83

Any and all good thoughts appreciated. We'll be there by 8 and she's scheduled to go first. I'll be with her in an exam room while the pre meds take effect so I expect they'll take her back to get started by 9.

She's in great hands so I really shouldn't worry, but I know I will.

Thanks!

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They just took her back. We managed to keep everything mostly stress free. A little panting until we got settled and after they took her back for her Cerenia shot, but then she settled. I also managed to keep it together...until now. I hate this. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Just got my post X-ray update. Important thing is she's doing well under anesthesia. The bad news is she's losing a lot more teeth than expected, 7 in total, unfortunately all molars. :( One was apparently abscessed too.

Dang :( Good thing you're getting the dental now!

Yeah well I was pleasantly surprised when we did the consult and he thought she'd only lose 3 and get to keep the big molars. I had been feeling guilty for putting it off (I knew I needed to set it up back in the spring). So back to feeling guilty! :gmark

Lots of good thoughts for Violet! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

I love my vet and know that she is very competent, but I still always worry when the pups get dentals.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

One can never predict the grade of perodontal disease until a complete oral exam is performed. That includes probing and intra- oral rads- something that can't be done without anesthesia. That's one of the reasons I am so adamantly against the use of "Free Standing" prophys. Keep us posted on her recovery.

One can never predict the grade of perodontal disease until a complete oral exam is performed. That includes probing and intra- oral rads- something that can't be done without anesthesia. That's one of the reasons I am so adamantly against the use of "Free Standing" prophys. Keep us posted on her recovery.

Yeah, I was aware of that going in, but its still disappointing.

As for puppy energy, I hope the heck not! She's been as energetic as always, eating her raw food (with bones) normally, playing with her balls normally (ie. incessantly squeaking them :P), etc. The only thing I had noticed that indicated any sort of problem was a slight reluctance to play tug. But yes, definitely glad we're getting that tooth out.

Now is when I start to really worry. We're past their time estimate and I haven't heard anything. I'm sure they're just finishing up or otherwise busy. :goodluck

Well now I get to freak out. Vet came out to update me, she came out of anesthesia well, did well while under, all good stuff, but...

They wanted to take her out to potty because she had peed on herself a little from the fluids and when they got her up, her abdomen seemed tender and then her urine had "blood" in it. They want to have the ER do an ultrasound to look for underlying stones or cystitis, but I asked him to see if they could get a sample (that one went on the floor) and just spin it down quickly to make sure it's not myoglobin before they do the ultrasound. So now I'm waiting to see if they can get a sample from her to do that.

It is possible that she had some mild infection - she hadn't had any abnormal drinking or peeing, but I did think I noticed her licking herself a bit more than usual recently. So hopefully it's just that, but my gut just clenched when he said blood in her urine. :hope

Do not panic, woman!

I'm trying, but it's becoming increasingly difficult. When the vet (the dentist) came out, it was "we're really not thinking rhabdo, but we'll try to get a urine sample and check it for you". Now he's talked to the ER doctors and it's, "we're recommending hospitalization and IV fluids to be on the safe side" and we're going to run this whole gamut of tests, blah blah. I told him to just stop and find out what they can tell from spinning down her urine and then we'll figure it out. They're also going to run a quick CK enzyme test to see if that's elevated.

Yeah, no, I'm freaking out. And they don't want me back there with her right now. I feel like I'm going to barf. Or cry. Or both. Just trying to tell myself that even if it is rhabdo, she should be fine with treatment.

ETA: If it does look like it's actually blood in her urine, should we start her on Amicar? I think they checked clotting stuff and it all looks fine (I'll doublecheck), but could some sort of bleeding problem cause this, or is it more likely what he originally suggested - bladder infection or something along those lines?

Edited by NeylasMom