Car Trouble

Guest minwalker

Guest minwalker

Any tips or tricks on how to get our grey into the back seat of a mazda 3 hatchback? We have a hammock with his blanket on it. His foster mom used to say "up" and he would jump right in. He doesn't seem to be food motivated when placed outside or inside on the blanket. So we've basically been lifting him in for now (though giving him ample amounts of time and coaxing before resorting to that). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

M & W

Hi, we're having the same trouble with Charlie and think he gets car sick as he looks peaky throughout journeys. We enrolled him in a class (short lived but nothing to do with the car) and I spoke to the trainer. She said it would be a slow process of trying to make the car more appealing using treats, having him explore the car, getting rewarded for going near working up to him putting his head in to get a treat from the seat.

We've been trying to make it nice and cosy inside the car with his bed and duvets in it, it's a small car so we put the back seats down. Unfortunately he gets so stressed that he doesn't want any food when we're near or in the car at the moment.

Anyway, good luck, if you have any joy please share.

Guest minwalker

no problems during the car rides - tries to walk around and after a couple of slips, settles down to nap. the hammock design prevents his legs from falling in between the seats. i guess patience and more patience or some other method needs to be deployed, i suppose.

Have you ever loaded a horse into a trailer? :-D

Open the door, approach it directly walking purposefully and briskly with hound at your hip, stop near the car but have hound continue moving, say 'hup!' (Or whatever) in a happy but firm voice, let their momentum carry them in. I find it easier to have the hound between me and the door so it's more difficult for them to turn away. If they hesitate, a very light butt slap right at the point they hesitate helps. This isn't to hurt them, it's the same kind of tap I use when playing or patting them.

Make sure he can see where he's jumping to.

Good luck.

Try: Toss in a high-value treat with 'Kennel Hup!' in a cheerful voice.

Try putting something bulky in the seat-wells to support the hammock to start with so it's not so scary.

Consider using something as a step to help get up in the car.

Rocket was the same way and had to be lifted in initially. Then we used liver treats which must have smelled really good. Never had to lift him again once he realized he could get in without help. Maybe try a few French Fries from McD's. We also say "Kennel Up" as his command, but usually he is in the car before we say it since he would live in the car if he could.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest AimeeBee

Have you ever loaded a horse into a trailer? :-D

Open the door, approach it directly walking purposefully and briskly with hound at your hip, stop near the car but have hound continue moving, say 'hup!' (Or whatever) in a happy but firm voice, let their momentum carry them in. I find it easier to have the hound between me and the door so it's more difficult for them to turn away. If they hesitate, a very light butt slap right at the point they hesitate helps. This isn't to hurt them, it's the same kind of tap I use when playing or patting them.

Make sure he can see where he's jumping to.

Good luck.

This is what I do as well, having a no-nonsense attitude really helps (they absolutely can and will sense if you aren't sure of what you're asking them to do). My dog will hesitate if he thinks that I don't *really* mean it or he doesn't want to leave wherever we are and usually circling around and giving it another go does the trick.

Guest shanesmom

If he is toy motivated you could try squeeking an exiting toy then throwing it in and he might jump in after it. Ace did. Would not do it for any treats I had tried but he was so focused on wanting the toy he forgot all about his fear and jumped right in. Ace really loves a new toy though far more than treats.

Above purposeful and direct method, Plus, if you have a second person available, have that person stationed inside or partially inside, serving as a beckoning target and encouraging with treat or toy. With a side entry, the person would bend into the car from the opposite open side door. If it's a rear load, the person could be sitting in the front seat, turned around.

Remember that even more important as training them to get in by themselves is train them absolutely not to jump out without permission.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest minwalker

So we're still trying to work on getting him in. He freezes (statues) about 5-10 feet from the car, so too far to really jump in. The oddest thing though, today, was that he wouldn't come out of the car. He *was* fast asleep when we got home, so that could have been it, but who knows. We're definitely still learning and trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. We'll continue to give the above recs a shot! Thanks for all the input :)