Kingsley And Another Big Change!

Guest GreytScott

Guest GreytScott

I haven't been on in a long time, and we're coming up on our one-year anniversary, Kingsley and I!

First, a photo!

10388087_1534271240159950_10604682673228

Lazy hound. :beatheart

And now to the chase. I've recently split from my significant other, and Kingsley spent about a month living with my ex after the kids and I moved out. My kids and I are now living at my mother's house, making this quite a bustling houseful of people. It's not a problem in and of itself that there are a lot of people. It's just that I went and got Kingsley and brought him here yesterday, and both while I was at my ex's house and over the course of yesterday and today at my parents' house I noticed that Kingsley has re-developed his fear of men. Now, I can't say as I know anything happened to him at all while I was not around - for all I know it's the transition of losing me, and then seeing me again, and then being moved again, that caused it. What I would like to know is if there's anything in particular I should do, or should I treat it as I did when I adopted him and just allow it to work itself out over time, as he settles into his new situation here? My brother, a dog-lover himself, is particularly interested in getting into Kingsley's good graces. Who wouldn't be? :ghplaybow

In all other respects he remains unchanged - no regressions anywhere else! TIA! :xmas

Guest sireltonsmom

I think giving it time and loving Kingsley is a good therapy. I think he'll adjust in time and then your brother can enjoy him too. In the meantime, let Kingsley decide how close to your brother he wants to be. Otherwise, give him the space he needs. Sorry you are going thru all this, especially at the holidays. Everyone has adjustments. Best to you all.

Feed him a meal, sitting on the floor, handing him one-piece-at-a-time... good way to associate you with food and care.

Hopefully just giving Kingsley some quiet time to adjust to all these changes will help too.

-from the mom to another Kingsley

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest GreytScott

Yes, my brother has been slipping him treats, and was able to get Kingsley comfortable enough to let him give him scratchies in his favorite spots. He will now approach him without fear, so that was a much, much faster acclimation than his initial one.

It's also entirely possible that he took so long acclimating to my ex because my ex would not allow Kingsley time to grow comfortable. I guess that made it hard for Kingsley to trust any adult male for a long time. Here, everyone is really good to him and gives him space. He seems quite at his leisure! Haha, I love a happy hound!