Sign in to follow this  
Feisty49

Do You Talk When You Walk Your Grey(S)?

All. The. Time.

Really. All the time. It's usually just me and them around the house, so I talk to them like they're other roomates living with me/us. Sometimes I'll be talking to them and the DH will ask "What?" Or the other way around. We just say "I'm talking to the dog!"

I'm also completely sure our neighbors think I'm a bit nutso. They walk by and here me talking or singing songs about poop or playing in the mud. :rolleyes:

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Yes, especially when they got praised for doing their business. The conversation/s really amused my one neighbor on the other side of the fence.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I do talk to Harper when we walk. Unfortunately it's "Out, Out. Good girl good girl. Here's a treat for dropping that nasty thing. Out Out, Good girl, good girl. Here's a treat for dropping that nasty thing." * Ad infinitum.

*not poop talk.

Edited by MauCarden

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

I talk to mine too. :)

As we pass yards with very barky dogs in them, I tell Mazy, "that poor dog is barking because nobody plays with them or takes them for a walk." Not that she appreciates me any better for saying that. :P

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

mostly it is "Conrad, WHEEL"* and come on Conrad WALK or MOVE. We don't do a lot of walking because we go into the back yard for morning and afternoon business, and THEN I do talk and roo...

* I am in a wheelie chair so I ask him to stay at my wheel :rofl :rofl :gh_run2:sofa

Yes, I do talk to Ruby when walking along. Sometimes her and I just enjoy the fresh air and the quietness, but most of the time I am talking to her about what we see.

I never talk on my phone, but I do take it in case we get attacked by another dog, fall, etc. It stays in my pocket though. My husband tripped and fell just last week and got hurt pretty bad while out walking her. Of course he didn't have his phone with him and had to limp home while hanging onto her. I think it's a good idea to have it with you.

Keep talking to her Marla..........she already knows your nuts

Ha Ha, Karen! LOL Reading all the above, I realize that I talk more than not on our walks. I also say God bless you when she sneezes. When she starts the hinky walk that indicates she's gotta poo, I encourage her to find the right spot. When we see a person who shows no interest in greeting Annie, who is always crushed when that happens, I tell her that person doesn't know what s/he's missing by ignoring the Best Dog in the World. I remind her she can't just walk wherever she wants because it's not polite to walk all over others' lawns. I also play catch-the-tail game. She doesn't like it much, but I do. :bgeorge

Of course! One conversation I got busted on was while trying to convince Desi that he is a sighthound, not a scent hound.

"For cryin out loud, Des, pick your head up out that yuck & look around! We're supposed to be walking"

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Of course! One conversation I got busted on was while trying to convince Desi that he is a sighthound, not a scent hound.

"For cryin out loud, Des, pick your head up out that yuck & look around! We're supposed to be walking"

OMG. I tell Annie all the time she's a sight hound. Her nose is always on the ground, or her head is pointed down looking for some place to sniff.

I talk about everything to my dog. I'm pretty sure people think I'm crazy because I will have complete conversations with my dog, granted he doesn't respond back so I'm not that crazy, yet. I'm always telling him / asking him to not forget about me while I'm gone for a year. That I love him and I'll be back before he knows it.

I really hope he remembers me......

I also talk to him about his daddyman and how he has to be good for him and to not eat socks while I'm away. And then I will point out animals to him.

I do this almost every walk!!!!!!!

I'm a talker too...not sure what we discuss but lots of praise for pee and poop and I don't care who hears me :lol

Jan with precious pups Katie Crazykatiebug, Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; and Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Another talker while walking here. Like a few others, too, I also am guilty of singing to my girls as we go,along. I keep the lyrics pretty simple, though. It's usually some variation on "Livy dog" or Chlody Cloes." Or other nickname I have for them. Currently Christmas tunes are getting butchered. I probably am nuts.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

When I start singing my dogs will get up and leave the room :lol

Edited by Remolacha

Guest AimeeBee

Most of the time I do, I couldn't really tell you what about though -- just chatter.

I talk to my two boys all the time when we walk. We also play training games while out walking so that requires communication (and lots of cheese). I never talk on the phone when I am out with my greyhounds, (unless it's something urgent that needs my immediate attention). I really enjoy our walks and they are about the dogs, so all of my attention is on them.

Guest Johberry

I talk to our hound, too. Mostly lots of praise when he potties and small talk like, "let's go this way this time" and even ask him questions like, "ooh, smell something interesting?!" I practice a lot of situational awareness since we live in an apartment complex with lots of careless speedsters in the parking lots and owners who let their dogs go nuts, so there's also a lot "wait" at crosswalks and "let's go" when it's safe to cross. I enjoy our walks, especially as a whole pack in the evenings with DBF.

I talk to them all the time. And this is even more nuts - my husband and I also answer back for them sometimes - we both have a pretty good idea of how they would sound if they could talk.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Guest Dancer

What would be a walk without me chatting...pretty sure the dogs ignore me....except when I say 'bunny' :hehe

...when you talk to yourself, you can be sure that someone is listening! :lol

when i talk to myself, i never listen. it's because i already know what i'm gonna say. poppy however always seems to be interested in hearing me talk. i think she's looking for keywords. ball, earskritchies, sausages, chewy. walkies, wannagoout, birdyfoot, tummyrub, bedtime, wannaplay and doggiefood. etc. we also converse on walks. she points out places with interesting smells, i point out the local fauna she's missed, point out that she'd be better off not eating the cat crossing the path, or the collie she doesn't like. i also sing to her. " i wish i were in the land of poppy", "how much is that poppy in the window", "As i walked down the streets of laredo, i met a young poppy all dresed up in tan, i see by your outfit that you are a cowboy, you see by my outfit that i'm a cowboy too. we see by our outfits that we are both cowboys......if you buy an outfit you can be a cowboy too!", "i'm poppy the sailor dog" and other immortal songs.

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
twoangelandpoppysigpic.png
------------Real Dogs Have Tattoos or Feathered Ears!-------------------
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Same here. Always talk and sing to them. Directed to whatever they are doing. Including asking Moonbeam why she has to be like Goldilocks when picking her poo place. :lol

I couldnt imagine any other way of walking them other than focusing on what they are doing.

I talk to them all the time. And this is even more nuts - my husband and I also answer back for them sometimes - we both have a pretty good idea of how they would sound if they could talk.

Haha! My partner and I do this!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I keep seeing this thread title and thinking "doesn't everyone?" :blink:

I keep up a running commentary. I'm sure it's totally ridiculous since it's usually divided between Bella and my son but sometimes there's overlap around a squirrel or rabbit....

Edited by sarabz

Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest Dancer

when i talk to myself, i never listen. it's because i already know what i'm gonna say. poppy however always seems to be interested in hearing me talk. i think she's looking for keywords. ball, earskritchies, sausages, chewy. walkies, wannagoout, birdyfoot, tummyrub, bedtime, wannaplay and doggiefood. etc. we also converse on walks. she points out places with interesting smells, i point out the local fauna she's missed, point out that she'd be better off not eating the cat crossing the path, or the collie she doesn't like. i also sing to her. " i wish i were in the land of poppy", "how much is that poppy in the window", "As i walked down the streets of laredo, i met a young poppy all dresed up in tan, i see by your outfit that you are a cowboy, you see by my outfit that i'm a cowboy too. we see by our outfits that we are both cowboys......if you buy an outfit you can be a cowboy too!", "i'm poppy the sailor dog" and other immortal songs.

Birdyfoot?? is there an explanation or translation available?? lol